Windows en doors in combination of walls

I have a wall built up in several layers, an inner wall, insulation and outer wall, if I want to place a window it is only saved in the outer wall, not in the other elements. How can I do this? I build up the wall in different elements because the height of the individual elements is different

Comments

• It is better to model tha complete Wall Package as a single Solid
    in Bricscad.
    (Although I think it would be cool if separating structurtal from
    insulation package for outer Walls would be very useful if we could
    work that way ....)

You model by single simple Solids and applay a BIM Composition
    which includes several Layers of Wall Components (Ply in Bricscad)

The different Heights and Extensions of Components are modeled later
    in a Sub-Component Edit Mode.
    Either from a Section, which will show Composition Details,
    or you activate "Show Composition" from Property Palette for your related
    Solids. Then you can select all Sub-Faces of each Component separately
    for modeling, like Push Pull Tool.

Further it is thought to do so only for one Detail manually,
    then BIMSUGGEST or v19 BIMPROPAGATE are meant to find all similar
    situations and do the modeling for you automatically.

• Tom Foster
    edited February 2019

It's rumoured that inserting windows etc into multiple solids may be with us quite soon - not all walls (or not all layers of) are right to do as Compositions within a single solid.
    For example many walls/most roofs if it's important to model timber framing plus insulation between, rather than letting a Ply be a slab-shaped proxy for that complex layer.

Having said that, when you say "I build up the wall in different elements because the height of the individual elements is different", single solids with Compositions are wonderfully flexible, as far as extending/cutting individual Plies of the Composition to different-height junctions with other ditto.

• Thank you for your quick responses. I was not aware of the Sub-Component Edit Mode, how do i activate it? I use v18. As far as i can see i am not able to select the different elements of the composition (or is it an V19 function?)

• sorry, responded to quick, if i select the Push/Pull first i can select the different elements.