Undo, just undo

Is there a way to undo steps of drawing without undoing steps of zoom (in and out)?

Comments

• Unfortunately - No

• I sometimes use a technique to undo some things, but save others. For example, if I made some part of a drawing that I want to keep, and also want to undo others, I will copy what I want to keep to the clipboard. Then I undo as far back as I want, and finally paste the objects I saved to the clipboard. The windows clipboard is not affected by the undo command.

I checked to see if saving a view is affected by undo, and it is. So, simply saving the view before you undo is not of any use. So it would take programming to somehow save the current view, and then restore it. Perhaps the view is saved to an external file, or perhaps text to restore the view is saved to the clipboard.

You may need to accept that you must only work in plan view in the WCS, but plenty of people work only that way. But, perhaps it may even be done without much. I see that the current view center is located in the variable VIEWCTR. But, that is a read-only variable. Perhaps someone else will know another setting that can use that value.

Are there any internal variables that are overlooked by the undo command? That may be a place to store the view value. A simple macro button may store it, and then another one could read that information and restore the view.

Anyone know how to set a view, just using the command prompt to enter the values from the VIEWCTR variable?

-Joe

• I have another idea. I don't know when the saved view option was added to AutoCAD. I woudl be surprised if someone had not create a LISP (or other language) routine to save and restore views. if so, then, that may be your technique. In fact, if that lisp can be used from the command prompt, you could create a macro button to do the work for you. The button might save the current view, then initiate the undo command, and finally restore the saved view.

-Joe

• I think I already said that a few times.

I worked with a lot of Apps that hadn't any View changes in Udo Stack
    and Drawing and View Navigation are two completely different things.
    Some had extra Undo/Redo for Views, which I used pretty seldom but
    can be handy.
    I was very happy with that over decades.

The first time was with Vectorworks which had View Navigation included
    in Undo Stack and there is no way around.
    I hated it from the beginning and still do today.

It is just distracting and annoying.
    When I draw I am zoomed in pretty deep for snapping.
    When I Delete or Undo I am zoomed out to keep overview.
    VIew Undo counteracts this.
    You jump around in detail views, don't know where you really are and
    can't really estimate what you Undo.
    And if you allow to change your View in between, you will even destroy
    your Redo Stack.

• Thank you Michael and Joe.

Joe, Your solution is good but it doesn't help with the annoyance to undoing zooms. I can't remember Microstation doing it. Michael is right. When you are zoomed in somewhen and trying to do multiple undos but leave last one in place you can't see what you are deleting and when to stop doing so. . You zoom in tocheck and than keep undoing. First undo is taking you awayf rom the place you want to see...

• My vote also, for view-independent Undo.
    I agree it's very hard to know how far the Undo progress has gone. Easy to overshoot as well as undershoot.
    And that's all because zoom jumps around as Undo progresses and it's hard to locate yourself, esp if there may be several instances of the thing you want to un-change.

What wd be great is to zoom/pan/rotate to the crucial spot and then watch it through the Undo sequence, to see the crucial Undo item happen before your eyes.

Can Brics rep explain why that's impossible/difficult/undesirable?

• It is clear that the Undo command is designed to leave everything as it was up to that point. I wonder if it might be analogous to doing incremental backups for your home computer's hard drive. While it might be easy to restore at each incremental backup, if you want to restore everything. If you only want to restore some of the files, then you have a much more difficult task.

It is probalby important that the word "undo", do exactly what it does in AutoCAD. Otherwise peopel who are considering transitioning would tend to get frustrated that BricsCAD is not behaving like they expect. It takes years of work with a complex program before all the inner workings are mastered and fully understood. That is part of why change is not good.

Though, even though I think the base Undo command should not change, that does not mean that I think additional commands (or options within commands) should not be created. Perhaps something like a new command "BUNDO" for BricsCAD UNDO command would be viable. But, personally, I don't have the need. The number of users who do is the real driving force. Bricsys must weight that with the cost of creating the new command.

-Joe

• @Tom Foster said:
    And that's all because zoom jumps around as Undo progresses ...

Which also means that I mostly have to hit CMD+Z twice each time.
    I draw things and at a certain point when in doubt I zoom out and rotate
    to check my work to realize an undo.
    (Which is very likely also the view I want to continue working)

1. n*Undo to get back to the view of my last Action
    2. the final Undo(s) to finally Undo.

(Where the n in 1. can mean a lot of Undos when you use a
    3D Connexion Space Mouse)