Design Tables

Is anybody using Design Tables successfully with either Windows or Linux? I am running BricsCAD V18 Platinum on both operating systems.

I've attempted this tutorial on both Linux and Windows, neither producing the expected outcome.

In Windows, the DESIGNTABLE command doesn't appear to group all column data in the .csv within the newly created parameter. Where I should see the parameter expand in a tree-view fashion with Width and Length parameters associated with the Size parameter, I am instead just seeing the Size parameter.

And in Linux, the DESIGNTABLE command doesn't generate any parameters, nor spit out an error. Thankfully though, I'm able to open the block definition created in Windows on Linux and see the generated Size parameter.

Is anybody else using this feature successfully on either operating system?

Comments

• Roy Klein Gebbinck
    edited May 2019

Looking at your picture carefully I get the idea you are not following the tutorial. Your problem is probably caused by the fact that the parameters the design table is intended to control do not exist when you invoke the _DesignTable command.

• @Roy Klein Gebbinck said:
    Looking at your picture carefully I get the idea you are not following the tutorial. Your problem is probably caused by the fact that the parameters the design table is intended to control do not exist when you invoke the _DesignTable command.

I see... It's not a standalone tutorial, but a continuation from Dynamic blocks vs. 2D Parametric Blocks.

• So DESIGNTABLE doesn't perform any check as to whether the parameters listed in the .csv exist in the drawing, or simply create the parameter by name in the first row if it's not found. Each parameter you wish to drive has to already exist in the drawing, which may mean plenty of manual entry depending on the design table.

It's a shame it doesn't work at all on Linux. It would also be helpful if the command gave feedback on the command line after its run.

• @drewbags
    It's perfectly OK to be critical. But when 'attempting' a tutorial the first approach should be to EXACTLY follow it.

• @Roy Klein Gebbinck said:
    @drewbags
    It's perfectly OK to be critical. But when 'attempting' a tutorial the first approach should be to EXACTLY follow it.

My apologies if my attempt wasn't good enough for you ;-)
    I've succeeded on Windows thanks to your help.

Have you attempted this tutorial on Linux? My first attempt was on Linux, where the tutorial completely failed me, and even now continues to fail me. Following these tutorials offers no guarantee in my experience, which is why I'm here simply asking for help.

• If the tutorial does not work on Linux then that is something that should be addressed by Bricsys. But, as you confirm, on Windows the workflow as outlined in the tutorial works. And in my book this is a very good tutorial.

• Regardless of the quality of the tutorial, it still doesn't solve the Linux half of the problem with the command. I'd still very much appreciate any help from someone using this on Linux.

• I do not have a BricsCAD Linux version installed.

It is worth checking if the file format of the CSV plays a role. I am thinking of the EOL (end of line) character.

For those who want to test I have attached a ZIP with the following files:
    2D Recessed Troffer.dwg (the result from the previous tutorial)
    2D Recessed Troffer Unix.csv (EOL=LF)
    2D Recessed Troffer Win.csv (EOL=CR+LF)

• ... And the Help also mentions this:

Please make sure the list separator character on your system is the same as the one used in the CSV file.

But although my locale's list separator is ';' CSVs with commas are accepted.
    It also seems strange to rely on an OS setting here when the locale's decimal separator is ignored.