Resize - Change dimensions

Hi, I've been trying to find the answer to this myself but can't seem to find it. I've looked into "resize", "change dimensions"... there is scale but I can't seem to figure it out and how to scale to the right dimension.
I have created a window with frames and pans etc. it's 34" x 46". I now realize it's too large and want it to ie 24"x 36". How do I select the whole thing and resize or scale down with all the exact dimensions without having to guess? When I scale it always seem to go larger and not smaller..

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks

Pascal

Comments

• Louis_Verdonck
    edited May 2019

Hi Pascal
    The answer is the **Reference **option of the Scale command. Let's say you have drawn a rectangle and you want to scale it so that its bottom edge is exactly 2000 mm. The procedure is as follows:

• Start the Scale command and select the rectangle, then press Enter to not select more entities.
    • You are prompted to select the Base point: snap the bottom left corner of the rectangle.
    • You are prompted to enter the Scale factor - choos the Reference option.
    • At the Reference scale <1> prompt: snap to the Base point again (= bottom left corner of the rectangle)
    • Your are prompted to specify a second point: snap to the bottom right corner of the rectangle.
    • Your are prompted: New scale <1> - type 2000

The prompt sequece is as follows:
    Entities in set: 1
    Base point:
    Scale factor or [Reference/Copy] <1>:b
    Reference scale <1>:
    Second point:
    New scale <1>: 2000

• Anthony Apostolaros
    edited May 2019

Pascal, in the example you gave, 34x46 to 24x36, you need to change not only the size, which the Scale command does very nicely, but also the shape, which the Scale command cannot do.

The only way I know of to change the shape of an assembly is to make it into a block (at least temporarily) and change the scale of the block in one direction but not the other.

In the case of your example, you could use the Scale command to change the 34 x 46 assembly to 24 x 32.4706, by using scale factor 24/36 = 0.705882352, or by using the Reference option as described by Louis. Then you could make the assembly into a block and use the Properties panel to change the Y scale factor of the block from 1 to 36/32.4706 = 1.10869525.

• If the dimensions of the frames are fixed, you will need to use the _Stretch command.
    Pans = Panels?

• @Anthony Apostolaros @Louis Verdonck
    thank you. It worked. I'll still need more practice but I'll get there. I took an AutoCAD class but I can't be bothered getting really good at something that I can't afford $$ in the long run. That's why I found your software and I downloaded the trial version and I'll likely buy the pro version. I really like it. It crashed a few times but I think it's because I don't know what I'm doing LOL. Thank you so much for your ongoing help.
    Do you know when the version 2020 is coming out? I'd be annoyed too by the 2019 and within a few weeks or months the 2020 comes out.
  • It shouldn't crash. Mine never crashes, no matter what I do. If it keeps crashing, you should file a support request. You can do that before buying.
    I don't know when 2020 will come out, but usually if you buy shortly before a new version comes out they give you the new version for free.