Would Bricsys ever consider developing an EDA?

navnav
edited January 2020 in Other

For those who haven't heard, Autodesk have just hammered the final nail into the Eagle CAD coffin; They are now forcing all new Eagle users to purchase a subscription for Fusion 360, in order to use Eagle. So you can no longer buy a subscription for just Eagle - you have to buy one for Fusion 360, which is far more expensive (Eagle would cost $125/yr, whereas Fusion 360 costs $460/yr). What's worse is that Fusion 360 is not supported on Linux, so those of us who use Eagle because there aren't any other decent options out there, will be forced to pay for software that we cannot use, in order to continue using Eagle on Linux. Also, as part of this change, they have discontinued the free version of Eagle.

On that note, I'm wondering if Bricsys would ever consider developing an alternative to Eagle. They seem to have gotten it right with Bricscad (license model, price, support for Linux, features, etc) - so much so I couldn't be happier with it (I've been using Bricscad daily on Linux for over a year).