Project browser sheet management.

Hi,

Im stuck on how to effectively manage sheets / layouts in the project browser.
I have everything currently setup, so my custom template with title block, and custom sections sheet set lets me do sections just fine,
and my title block fields are correctly populated dynamically.

BUT...

I fail to see how I get a 3d representation from one of the layout views in the model drawing into the project browser as a sheet. Or
any other way to manage the project so neatly as the project browser is managing section views, if I also require some 3d perspective views.

I can see I can "Add new sheet" to the sheets section, but it's pointing at nothing by default, so hmmm, I guess I'm fundamentally stuck
on the real workflow (coming from Sketchup).

I'm holding this very wrong I know, but it seems like if you go down the project browser route, the tradeoff is the layouts in the drawing are redundant, a little shove in the right direction appreciated.

Kind regards
Gary Simpson

Comments

• doobox
    edited January 2020

I'm so close I can nearly touch it..!

So I figured out that if I look that the sheet set "panel" on the right, it also shows the structure of the sheet set that is generated when sections are created, I see I can add a sub category here, and then right click on it (not possible in the pretty project browser) "import exiting layouts"... Boom! just what I wanted, all my eggs in one basket. ALMOST.......

As far as I can see so far this still requires some manual management.
    I can as said import all the current layouts into the current sheet set like this, but this is like a one time deal. As the project gets larger I don't see any way to refresh that layout import (only importing layouts from the drawing that have not already been imported, it's all or nothing, leaving a lot of potential clean up every time you do that.

Any way to set this up better, so if a new layout is added to the drawing it's automatically added to the current sheet set?

• Can someone respond to this ?
  • @doobox said:

I fail to see how I get a 3d representation from one of the layout views in the model drawing into the project browser as a sheet. Or
    any other way to manage the project so neatly as the project browser is managing section views, if I also require some 3d perspective views.

In the source 3D model try creating some views using CAMERA or VIEW. On your paper-space layout in the desired target drawing open the Content Browser (CONTENTBROWSEROPEN) and search for your source model (you may need to add the folder location to the browser) and select "Model Views". From the content pane, drag and drop the desired view onto your layout. This invokes the PLACEVIEW command that will pull through the desired view to your layout and label the view.

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill
    BricsCAD V20 Ultimate
    CAD Concepts

• @doobox said:

As far as I can see so far this still requires some manual management.
    I can as said import all the current layouts into the current sheet set like this, but this is like a one time deal. As the project gets larger I don't see any way to refresh that layout import (only importing layouts from the drawing that have not already been imported, it's all or nothing, leaving a lot of potential clean up every time you do that.

Any way to set this up better, so if a new layout is added to the drawing it's automatically added to the current sheet set?

When you create new layouts it is best to do so from the Sheet Set Manager / Project Browser. If you do it from here it will automatically add the new layout to your current sheet set. Generally, with sheet sets it is desirable to only have one layout per dwg file. This gives you the most flexibility when it comes to working with the files.

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill
    BricsCAD V20 Ultimate
    CAD Concepts

• Jason I saw a post form you I beliver where you talked about annotating dimension settings in the view ports containing sections produced by bim section. There were some settings where it the bim section changed the dimensions would be auto updated, I can’t fond your post, this forum is useless as it has no search functionality
  • @tslewis71 said:
    Jason I saw a post form you I beliver where you talked about annotating dimension settings in the view ports containing sections produced by bim section. There were some settings where it the bim section changed the dimensions would be auto updated, I can’t fond your post, this forum is useless as it has no search functionality

The setting you are looking for is GENERATEASSOCVIEWS. Having switched it on you will need to re-generate the views for the settings to take effect. This setting is also required if you want to use BIM Tags.

Beware that in BricsCAD V20, GENERATEASSOCVIEWS is saved to the workspace. Therefore you would need to take care that you aren't inadvertently turning it off by switching workspaces. You can check the value for each workspace by running CUSTOMIZE.

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill
    BricsCAD V20 Ultimate
    CAD Concepts

• Thank you, I will try this out.