Anyone else getting an error installing Twinmotion on Windows 10?

I'm finally giving in to the inevitable and moving to Windows 10. Bricscad installed okay and the licenses are moved to the new box. Days of reinstalling other applications have gone without significant problems.

After getting mostly caught up, I decided it was time to give Twinmotion a try. It was an interesting webinar; it looks cool. So, download the installer then run it and see: "Epic Games Launcher Setup / The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2738."

Reported to Epic Games and their response was, essentially, "you're missing a Windows script" and a link to a page with a purported fix that itself leads to a 404 Not Found. Not very encouraging.

Subsequent web searches seem to indicate that the 2738 error is related to the installer failing to execute vbscript.dll and provide various (and sometimes contradictory) fixes involving editing the Registry.

So, I'm not deeply enthusiastic about diving into the Registry on a brand new, fully patched Windows 10 installation just to install a piece of software, particularly after literally days of installing other applications and none of them threw any exceptions during the installation process.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Or am I just the lucky one?

Comments

• I can't remember having had any problems when installing Twinmotion.
    But that was back in 2019, so I have Epic Game Launcher quite some time
    and do regular updates only.
    Also I have those NET Framework Packs and stuff already installed, as
    needed by my old Microstation. Maybe that DLL would be part of that (?)

The only DLL Windows was ever missing and asking for was one from Bricscad,
    missing in the 1st Installer when trying Datasmith Export - for Twinmotion.
    But that had another name.

I would try to download the Epic Installer again, in case it got corrupt
    and deactivate all Virus or Security Software while installing.

• Thanks for the reply. The dll files are there. C:\Windows\System32\vbscript.dll and C:\Windows\SysWOW64\vbscript.dll, both are version 5.812.10240.16384. Registered both with regsvr32, no change. Rebooted after regsvr32'ing again, this time from an elevated prompt. Same error after the reboot.

Repeated downloads return the same file. MD5 sum 398eb661ee3829b4b5486074604bf19a, SHA256 b24e6568ec5ddc968733fbe4e8d05088a38e496b1a350d0f2101646fb10a8a2e

It's always possible that Malwarebytes is interfering but it has been my experience that it will make an event entry in its own log whenever it does. Nothing seen. The "disable your antimalware application to install" was questionable back in the Win95 days. Now, hard no.

There may be some registry changes that will work around the problem but I'm afraid that's a bridge too far. Many, many installations over the last few days and the Epic Games installer is the only one that's complaining.

• Well,
    in my eyes Unreal Engine is a Monster,
    Epic Game Launcher an annoyance,
    Epic is fighting with Apple about the App Store,
    but Twinmotion is so far the only Real Time Rendering solution on Mac ...

I'ld prefer Enscape anyway - if available on Mac at one time.

But editing the Registry to (re-)connect that DLL isn't that dangerous (?)