Best way to do Wall Finishes?

Hey everyone,

What is the best way to do wall finishes in Bricscad BIM? Should we model finish walls (plaster, surface finish etc.) separately or should the finish layers be part of the composite walls? If we do it separately (brick wall and plaster+paint wall), What happens when we put doors and windows on it? Is there any way to automate wall finishes(creating wall finishes by room boundary)?

I have looked past discussions but couldn't find any answer. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• That is a really good question.

Generally I would say finishes should be part of the Composition's Materials.

That will not work for Windows or Doors of course.
    If that Level Detail is needed, like Window Details, I am not even sure it is better
    to include Window Details into a custom parametric Window,
    or by modeling Wall Compositions, like we would do for corners and where they
    meet the Floor, and apply these Details by PROPAGATE.

Window Details included in Windows looks flexible at first.
    (The way you would do it Vectorworks, by custom Windows in Symbols/Blocks
    instead of using standard Window Tool)
    But I am not sure if that would interfere with Volume calculations and BOM.

Like when you add parts around the Wall Opening like Plaster and Insulation into
    your Window but make the Window Opening bigger instead.

Sometimes,
    because of Wall Composition amount needed to offer any combinations
    (of basically the same 30 cm concrete Wall) for any situation,
    it would be very handy to be able to model Structural and Finishing
    separately !
    (But again the problem with Window insertion)

Maybe we should avoid such level of detail and not go deeper than 1:50 scale
    or better even lower to generate plans from and leave it to the detail drawings.
    But even when applicable, when you need your Model also for Visualization

purposes, you may need to look at the sides of Window openings anyway,
    and you would at least some Face separation to apply Textures manually
    or in an other App.
    In my Workaround, which destroys all BIM standards, I would use a fake
    2 Composite Wall Style, Comp1 = interior Finish, Comp2 = exterior Finish,
    thickness ratio according to Window position :wink:

• Rodolphe Simon
    edited March 2021

@gokermu said:
    Hey everyone,

What is the best way to do wall finishes in Bricscad BIM? Should we model finish walls (plaster, surface finish etc.) separately or should the finish layers be part of the composite walls? If we do it separately (brick wall and plaster+paint wall), What happens when we put doors and windows on it? Is there any way to automate wall finishes(creating wall finishes by room boundary)?

I have looked past discussions but couldn't find any answer. Thanks in advance.

What I do is go to Drawing Explorer to 'Materials' and create a new material and assign the color I need at diffuse/inherit . Then click bump map & add a texture, I use egg texture (attached below) and scale it up to a use-able size. You can use other textures also the but for me the egg texture slightly over-exaggerates the wall to bring it out better.
    When you place BIM doors, it works fine. You can go to compositions to assign materials to walls.

• Is there any way to automate wall finishes(creating wall finishes by room boundary)?

AFAIK it works the opposite.
    Rooms/Spaces will pull the finish information from the Wall Compositions.

• @Michael Mayer said:

Is there any way to automate wall finishes(creating wall finishes by room boundary)?

AFAIK it works the opposite.
    Rooms/Spaces will pull the finish information from the Wall Compositions.

What I meant was using room geometry as a reference to create wall finishes? Like in DynamoDynamo