What should legislation look like, to insure that perpetual licenses are truly perpetual?

I've raised the topic of on-line license authorization before. On-line authorization requires that the software vendor stay in business, or your perpetual license is not so perpetual. I realize the need to prevent piracy, or no software vendor can recoup their investment. But, the consumer also needs protection.

In the U.S., car manufacturers are required by law to maintain a stock of replacement parts for a certain number of years. And I wonder if something comparable can be done for software activation. Since software is not a physical thing, it is obviously different. Here is what comes to mind;

If software requires a registration or authorization process to be able to install software, a method must be provided to be able to install the software on identical computers/operating system for the term of the license. In the event of a company's closure, this method must be continued by some mechanism. Failing that, the company's officers are personally liable for the cost for a 3rd party to override the process, to enable the install to proceed. In the event that the license is perpetual, a term of at least 50 years must be provided.

The provision for these ongoing reinstallation needs can be provided for, by the use of a 3rd party licensing company. This company may do the on-line validation itself, or hold a special version of the software, that does not require the on-line registration or authorization.

Other thoughts about this?