_dmDistance3d between array and solid

Dear all,

I am assembling a parametrized object for cable duct works. The chamber has been parametrized as attached. Secondly I want to define openings as arrays based on holes from the standard library. Unfortunately I cannot get to parametrize the array with the volume / surfaces using _dmDistance3d. Any hints on how to move forward are highly welcome.

Comments

• What you can do is use the distance parameter and select the edge of one of the circles in the array (I use the top left one) and then top edge of the front face of the chamber. Then fix the top edge of the front face of the chamber to make the array move relative to the top edge.

This works until you save and close the file, upon reopening the file the distance parameter is suddenly missing but the fix is still there. Creating a new distance parameter works but it gets missing again after saving and reopening the file.
    If have found in the past that some things don't always work nicely with the holes from the library so I'm barely using them so far, maybe I should try again to see if things have improved.

Instead of using the library holes you could create your own array of holes (using parameter to keep the holes together etc) and then create the distance parameter for the array. In cases where I do that it seems to work nicely until you push things outside the containing geometry, then it will be a bit of a surprise if and how much it will fall apart.

• @RSW
    Thanks for your reply. I had to freeze the layer BC_SUBSTRACT and enable surface selection in order to apply a distance parameter to the proper geometry. Works for now. Steady learning curve.