Poor performance in linux

Hello , i'm an architectural student and i have the license academy of bricscad , i'm running under Ubuntu linux 20.04.2LTS and i'm experiencing a really poor drawing performance , whenever i draw a polyline or just a simple line the UI start to flicker and it's hard to move the line ...
i don't have a top of the line computer but it's enough to make simple 2d drawings

specs :

Core i7-6820HQ
16gb ram
Nvidia Quadro M1000M / Intel HD 4000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF98fXkpfNM

Comments

• I too have noticed this performance issue when zooming once a command (line or dimensioning) is active. My hardware is fairly high-end so its not your hardware.
    I'm also using Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and frequently get crashes and shutdowns when window selecting.
    Would be interested to hear supports response.

• @MilesAlex said:
    I too have noticed this performance issue when zooming once a command (line or dimensioning) is active. My hardware is fairly high-end so its not your hardware.
    I'm also using Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and frequently get crashes and shutdowns when window selecting.
    Would be interested to hear supports response.

Yeah it's really annoying and it slow me down a lot , and i don't want to go back to windows neither other cad softwares Bricscad seems great :D

• Update : After disabling DYNMODE the drawing is smooth right now ! but what is the problem with it ? i mean back in autocad dynamic mode wasn't an issue for me

• @jaber said:
    Update : After disabling DYNMODE the drawing is smooth right now ! but what is the problem with it ? i mean back in autocad dynamic mode wasn't an issue for me

AutoCAD in Linux? Linux is a problem platform for CAD software - it is a moving target, too fragmented and inconsistent. My guess is BricsCAD on Linux will be abandoned some time in the future and moved to the cloud.

• @cadmaster said:

@jaber said:
    Update : After disabling DYNMODE the drawing is smooth right now ! but what is the problem with it ? i mean back in autocad dynamic mode wasn't an issue for me

AutoCAD in Linux? Linux is a problem platform for CAD software - it is a moving target, too fragmented and inconsistent. My guess is BricsCAD on Linux will be abandoned some time in the future and moved to the cloud.

i don't see how Linux is a bad platform for CAD softwares , it offer great performances and it's OpenSource the CPU and Memory handling are way better in Linux compared to windows , the only thing that can cause a problem in Linux is Graphics and especially Nvidia since their drivers are Not Open source but they are improving it over the years

• @jaber said:

@cadmaster said:

@jaber said:

i don't see how Linux is a bad platform for CAD softwares , it offer great performances and it's OpenSource the CPU and Memory handling are way better in Linux compared to windows , the only thing that can cause a problem in Linux is Graphics and especially Nvidia since their drivers are Not Open source but they are improving it over the years

O, yes! Been hearing and reading this for the last 20 years. But the reality is exactly opposite - old CAD doesn't port to Linux, but moving to the Cloud, new software is either Windows/Mac or cloud based - OnShape, Fusion 360, AutoCAD Web App, etc. Or maybe You are speaking from experience as a CAD developer on Linux and I'm totally wrong?

• @cadmaster said:

@jaber said:

@cadmaster said:

@jaber said:

O, yes! Been hearing and reading this for the last 20 years. But the reality is exactly opposite - old CAD doesn't port to Linux, but moving to the Cloud, new software is either Windows/Mac or cloud based - OnShape, Fusion 360, AutoCAD Web App, etc. Or maybe You are speaking from experience as a CAD developer on Linux and I'm totally wrong?

You have a good point i'm not gonna lie , but i speak as as some one who used to port Games into linux before the proton API emerge and i noticed that some Games handle better in linux due to their Architecture , i understand that Linux porting is one scary thing for all company's but i really hope that it will become a standard because the community is really great and helpful and the system offer so much possibilities but as i said big company's like NVIDIA need to offer the full support that the OS deserve , and here a question , when was the last time that Linux kernel crashed for you ? my computer is running for days without any Problem or noticeable change in performance :)

• I'm running Ubuntu18.04 and V20 just fine in a VM. Very little lag. First time ever possible with great hardware. I just do basic 2D work though.