BricsCAD for Electrical Work

Cnut
edited May 2021 in Other

Just wondering if people are using BicsCAD for electrical work, and How? If you care to share.
Power and lighting plan drawings? One lines, Schematics? Wiring?
3D Cable tray layout seems like a good use but there are some other vendor tools for that. Right?

Anyone use it for custom calculations?

I have been using it for most of the above, just wondering how many here do electrical work and how they use it.

Comments

• I do electrical design for buildings with Bricscad. I use a lot of standard blocks that can be exploded and modified. I also have 974K of custom lisp that automate many functions. Inserting symbols is generally a selection from a toolbar, a click for the insertion point, then a click for rotation. Adding a panel is one click (reads values from the panel schedule on the screen and uses color coding for things like continuous loads). I wrote my own text editor in lisp to have 'in place, no zoom' editing. I've been working on the lisp file for over 20 years.

• @H Martin Shoemaker said:
    I do electrical design for buildings with Bricscad. I use a lot of standard blocks that can be exploded and modified. I also have 974K of custom lisp that automate many functions. Inserting symbols is generally a selection from a toolbar, a click for the insertion point, then a click for rotation. Adding a panel is one click (reads values from the panel schedule on the screen and uses color coding for things like continuous loads). I wrote my own text editor in lisp to have 'in place, no zoom' editing. I've been working on the lisp file for over 20 years.

That sounds great. Where is the load calculation completed? In lisp? I've been using a spread sheet for years, then copy and paste the image into CAD. Is the panel schedule a block?

• The panel schedule is a block. I edit the load descriptions and loads as appropriate. Panels look something like the attached pdf. I changed some colors to make the pdf readable. To add the panel I call the function and select the voltage text at the top. The lisp determines whether the panel is single phase or three phase, determines the number of breaker spaces, and determines whether the panel has AWG columns. I toggle the color of the result in the lower right so I can tell the load was actually updated.