Do you use layers? We want to talk!

rose_barfield
edited May 2021 in 2D Drafting

I'd like to speak to users that regularly use more than 100 layers (or similar) in their drawings. PM me. :smile:

Edit: We have some specific questions, we are not looking for general feedback at this stage.

Comments

• As for the click bait head line :)

I use Layers and I could not imagine how to ever live without (even only) Layers.
    I heavily use "Classes + Layers" in combination in Vectorworks.
    And in lack off such equal separation combinations, in Bricscad I uses Layers
    together with any kind of sorting in Structure Browser.

Here, basically mainly 2 kind of Layers :

• Container Layers
    • Material Layers

Container Layers to sort Blocks and Building Elements
    (Furniture, Walls, Windows, Slabs, ......)
    to control Visibility selectively in large parts.
    Material Layers to sort Block Content and Components
    (Composition Plies, Materials, ....)

To be able to separate and to see either

• only all e.g. Walls but no Slabs, Windows, ...
      or

• only all Objects that are made of Concrete, but not Wood, Glass, .....

Wishes :

• more flexibility in Layer Visibility Switching (global) options :
      (Show only Active Layer Objects, show Active Layer and Visible Layers but Lock these,
      make sure locked Layer's Elements can't be selected or manipulated, ....)
      In the kind that Structure Panel offers by e.g. Isolate/Show/Hide comfort.

• A reduced Layer Panel docked on screen,
      showing mainly Layer Names, Visibilities + Activation
      and maybe a 1-3 custom user parameter needs like Color, Material, ....
      so that we don't need to expand our right Dock over half the screen,
      but instead a button that brings a temporary full Layer Manager like Window for quick
      Layer editing, when Mouse Cursor hovers over.

But to keep things simple and avoid endless Scrolling, need of using Layer Filters
    or Layer States and such things, I limit myself to sub 100 Layers (30-80 if applicable)
    So no PM from my side :)

• Thanks for the feedback, but I actually have some very specific questions that need to be answered via PM.

• We have CIV3D dwgs start with about 200 layers this is because the survey object matches a layer, we use a smart purge RD* so a dwg after the surveyors have played with it will drop to about 80 layers, CIV3d is very layer hungry.

For me I would rename all the existing object layers to EX-xxxx etc this way know instantly its an existing object.

As suggested for architectural may have like wall-xxxxx demo-xxxxxx and so layers become grouped.

This discussion has been closed.