circular corner reliefs wont create except very large ones

I don't know why, but I cant get circular reliefs of a small size. for example 0.050" thick sheet metal with 0.15" radius bends and 12" flanges, the relief create too; wont make circular ones smaller than 1.256", and when I try, it either says " Cannot to switch a relief to the given type" or crashes the program altogether. Ive tried making the sheetmetal from a shell and from a base flange and tried upgrading from 2020 to the latest 2021 version. I have had it work correctly on 2 occasions but cant repeat that. copy of a example file attached.

Comments

• Jim Canale
    edited July 2021

I'm running V20, and created a model from scratch, with the parameters (thickness and bend radius) you gave us. It has circular reliefs .394" in diameter.

• Jim Canale
    edited July 2021

Incidentally, when I opened the model you posted it showed errors in the mechanical browser. I repaired the model (with SMREPAIR), but couldn't convert the reliefs. I have seen this before. I've had problems changing the reliefs if I don't do so immediately after formation of the flanges. If I add some cutouts , before converting, it doesn't always work.

Anyway I unfolded your model and examined the rectangular relief. It was over 1.25" across the diagonal. I believe the conversion creates a hole whose diameter equals this distancel. So it would be equally large.

Anyway, I built your exact model from scratch and converted the reliefs. The holes are again .394" OD. I don't know how to solve the problem you experienced except to tell you to start over from scratch.

• Hello Davidfoord

I took a look at the model you posted. There is something wrong with the geometry of your model.
    For some reason the bend radii are locked in a radius that's too large compared to the sheet thickness.
    The model is so locked up I can't even change the sheet metal thickness
    Even dissolving and reapplying (and several heals) did not fix this issue.

I had to delete the radii and put hard edges everywhere (see screenshot)

After this I reapplied the bend and it now sets to a value that corresponds the the sheet metal thickness.
    As a consequence the round corner relief is also smaller because this value is directly related to the bend radius (see screenshot)

I can't find the reason this occurs but as removing the bends fixed it I'm inclined to believe it has something to do with that.
    If one of the devs reads this maybe they can give a more comprehensive answer.