Editing dxf files

If I open and edit a dxf then hit save I do not want to be prompted to "Save Drawing As" a dwg file.
I just want to save the dxf.
Changing the default Save format is not an option as we work with both dwg and dxf daily.
Is there an option/setting that I am not aware of?
cheers

Comments

• You could achieve this using some LISP. The function below will switch the SaveFormat automatically as you switch between drawings.

; SetSaveFormat
    ; Sets the save format to match the current drawing extension

(defun SetSaveFormat ( / ext)
        (setq ext (strcase (acet-filename-extension  (getvar 'DWGNAME)))) ; retrieve the current drawing file extension
            (cond ((= ".DXF" ext)
                            (setvar 'SaveFormat 5) ; If drawing is DXF, set saveformat to 2013 .DXF
                            (princ "\nSave format set to .DXF")
                        )
                        (T (setvar 'SaveFormat 4) ; Otherwise set saveformat to 2013 .DWG
                             (princ "\nSave format set to .DWG")    
                        ) 
            )
        (prin1)
    )

; Set a reactor to call SetSaveFormat each time the current drawing is changed
    (vlr-docmanager-reactor nil '((:vlr-documentBecameCurrent . SetSaveFormat)))

(SetSaveFormat) ; auto run on loading

To use, you would either include in your on_doc_load.lsp, or set to load automatically with APPLOAD.

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill
    BricsCAD V21 Ultimate
    CAD Concepts

• Thanks Jason, this is exactly what I was looking for.

• @Jason Bourhill
    NICE!!!!
    well done, thanks.

• Hi Jason
    It might be something on my system but if I save an open DWG as a DXF you would think that SSF would then save it as DXF next save - but it doesn't. SSF is auto loaded at the start of each session and does give the right save settings for DXFs and DWGs that are open, but after I save a DWG as a DXF it persists in trying to save as a DWG subsequently. This is unfortunate because that is exactly how my work flow goes - I draw my parts in DWG, then purge all non-essential elements to produce a clean DXF for CNC - this DXF might be tweaked and re-saved several times before it's finalised. SSF seems to ignore its new file type though.
    If I close the DXF then open it, then save again it silently saves as it a DXF.
    Cheers
    Jeremy
  • Update the LISP to include a check when the drawing file is saved.
    ; SetSaveFormat
    ; Sets the save format to match the current drawing extension

(defun SetSaveFormat ( / ext)
    	(setq ext (strcase (acet-filename-extension  (getvar 'DWGNAME)))) ; retrieve the current drawing file extension
    		(cond ((= ".DXF" ext)
    						(setvar 'SaveFormat 5) ; If drawing is DXF, set saveformat to 2013 .DXF
    						(princ "\nSave format set to .DXF\n")
    					)
    					(T (setvar 'SaveFormat 4) ; Otherwise set saveformat to 2013 .DWG
    						 (princ "\nSave format set to .DWG\n")	
    					) 
    		)
    	(prin1)
    )

; Set a reactor to call SetSaveFormat each time the current drawing is changed
    (vlr-docmanager-reactor nil '((:vlr-documentBecameCurrent . SetSaveFormat)))

; Set a reactor to call SetSaveFormt each time the drawing is saved
    (vlr-editor-reactor nil '((:vlr-saveComplete . SetSaveFormat)))

(SetSaveFormat) ; auto run on loading
    Regards,
    Jason Bourhill
    BricsCAD V22 Ultimate
    CAD Concepts
  • Thanks Jason that has fixed it
    Cheers
    Jeremy