Menus, Toolbars, Command Line Disappear

I bought BricsCad Linuv v21 and have had nothing but instability with menus, toolbars and the command line.

They all disappear for no reason. I bought BricsCad in January and can't use it yet.

However, BricsCad Linux v15 is rock solid stable. I happily use it every day.

Has anyone had this problem. Please tell me if you have.

Thanks.

Comments

• I just saw a response that says that BricsCad Linux v15 isn't stable.
    I've moved it several times to 3 different computers. It's been stable over a period of 5+ years.

But I would really like to move up to v21 . . . if it would only keep the menus, etc. visible

• Same situation on Mac,
    while no problems on Windows.

• I had the same problem with V21 (Ubuntu 20.04).
    V22 beta is better, but not stable as V16: sometimes toolbars etc. disappeare.

• Cnut
    edited September 2021

I had this issue with V20, there is a thread here somewhere.

Here is how I solved the annoying problem.
    1. get your menus and toolbars the way you like them
    2. copy your default.cui to some known directory
    mine is here ~Bricsys/BricsCAD/V20x64/en_US/Support/default.cui
    3. create an executable script on your desktop to copy your good default.cui file to the corrupt default.cui file.
    mine looks like this

! /bin/bash

cp /home/sam/src/BRXSDK/default.cui /home/sam/Bricsys/BricsCAD/V20x64/en_US/Support
    4. when your menus get messed up, shut down BricsCAD and run your script to copy over the bad default.cui

Seems this bug should have been fixed in V21. Maybe there is a better way. This has worked for me.

• This is a common issue with BricsCAD, and not just with the linux version. With BricsCAD a lot of setting changes made during the current session are cached, and only committed to disk when the application is closed. If there is an issue with the closing process then these setting changes can be lost or corrupted. A common cause of improper closing is due to 3rd party applications not reacting correctly to the application closing.

Another cause can be due to running multiple BricsCAD sessions. In this case it is only the settings of the last BricsCAD session that is closed that is saved, and setting changes made to earlier sessions are lost.

Recent versions of BricsCAD have introduced WORKSPACEs. Workspaces save your current Toolbar, menu, ribbon settings under a workspace name within the Root CUI, which by default is the default.cui.

It is possible to get the default.cui to revert back to default settings via the CUSTOMIZE command.

You can also reset user files by copying them from the program defaults location, which for V20 can be found her
    /opt/bricsys/bricscad/v20/UserDataCache

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill
    BricsCAD V21 Ultimate
    CAD Concepts

• Yes this happens sometimes, especially if someone tries to resize their application window when BricsCAD is starting and loading the config.
    We use a script to reset our default config at our office. This script is probably a bit to specific for our implementation to be useful in general, but to make it simple:
    1. Set up BricsCAD the way you want.
    2. Make backup copies of the file '~/.bricscad/config' and the dir '~/Bricsys/BricsCAD/V[YourVersion]x64'.
    3. If you want to restore the visual layout, then using your backup to restore the '~/Bricsys/BricsCAD/V[YourVersion]x64' dir is enough.
    4. If you also want to restore in app settings, then use your backup to restore the '~/.bricscad/config' file.
  • Thanks for all the responses. You have all helped me maintain sanity.
    Long live your ToolBars!