Importing PDF files to Bricscad?

____PJ____
edited September 2021 in Moving from A-CAD

Hi, I am trying to import a PDF into Bricscad. Autocad has a function where it figures out what all of the lines are in a pdf and then brings them into your drawing so that you don't have to trace over the PDF to get its information. I've tried using the import command to do this in Bricscad and it just tells me that it cannot import the file. Does anyone know why this is?

Comments

• Are you using the PDFIMPORT command? This will insert a PDF file with its geometric entities converted to CAD objects in the drawing. The similar PDFATTACH brings the file in as an underlay without the conversion to CAD entities.

• aridzv
    edited September 2021

@____PJ____
    Hi.
    what I usually do is this:
    1. I attach the pdf file (see step A in the attached image).
    2. then I use the "import pdf" option (see step B in the attached image), that enable me to choose the elements I want to extract and some more options.

hope it helps.
    Ari.

• Keep in mind that there are two types of pdf files. A pdf that was printed with a 'print to pdf' generally has linework and can be usually be imported as linework. The quality of the elements in the imported data varies depending on the printer driver used and the settings for the printer driver. Sometimes you get a high quality file. Sometimes not. TEXT and MTEXT can be especially problematic.

A pdf that is a scan of a paper drawing has no linework -- all it has are dots. There are programs available that claim to convert pdfs that are scans to linework but I've never found one that worked well.

• Try Convertio.to for non 'Print to Pdf' files. Convert to svg then .dxf it does ok