BricsCAD "hangs"

The program becomes momentarily unresponsive. repeatedly and seemingly randomly, This has been happening more noticeably since v21.2.06 (Ultimate), enough now to significantly hamper my productivity.
I'm on Windows 10 Pro with AMD Ryzen 5 5600X processor (Radeon Pro graphics card).

The hanging tends to happen just as a command is finished, before I can enter the next. Almost any command might trigger it: distance, erase, line, you name it. Keyboard input and cursor freeze, from as little as a fraction of a second to tens of seconds. Then it returns to normal, no errors reported.

It seems different from the lag described here:
https://forum.bricsys.com/discussion/36289
or the jerkiness described here (which I've felt before, too, but not so recently...):
https://forum.bricsys.com/discussion/37036

I've tried audits, setting coords=0, purging app ids, SAFEMODE, various visual styles, etc. but it keeps happening.

Before I file a support request, I'm curious if others have dealt with this.

Comments

• I would send a support request. It may have something to do with AMD.

• Tested v21.2.06 a couple days on a ThinkPad notebook with Intel i5-8250U and had no troubles. That did suggest some compatibility issue with my AMD system, even though it runs other software fine for me.

So I installed a new AMD driver on my desktop. That didn't seem to help anything.

Next I updated the (MSI) BIOS and found a recommendation to adjust DRAM frequency to 3200 MHz (from 2400 MHz). Doing that seems to have fixed the hanging—BricsCAD no longer stutters along!

Unfortunately, now it's crashing more often than before...

I will try v21.2.07 soon. Trying to change one thing at a time to narrow down culprits [in between getting on with work] before filing an SR...

• Michael Mayer
    edited September 2021

I agree that it may have to do with the AMD GPU,
    especially if you have an AMD "Pro" GPU with special drivers.

I had V21 crashing with one of the later AMD drivers as soon as I tried to open any File.
    AFAIK that was fixed with AMD/Redway/Bricscad for drivers above 21.7 (?)
    But there was no new V21 after V21.2.06 for me.
    Will search again for a V21.2.07 ...

The Pro drivers may be at an earlier state.
    And like for Vectorworks, there are often 2 pro driver versions for Nvidia Quadro (AMD PRO ?),
    where one of those will work while the other will cause issues.

If there is already a BC V21.2.07, I expect that it includes the AMD GPU fix.
    (I am meanwhile on AMD (RX 6800) 21.8 gaming driver or up, this seems to work.

• ScottS said:

The program becomes momentarily unresponsive. repeatedly and seemingly randomly, This has been happening more noticeably since v21.2.06 (Ultimate), enough now to significantly hamper my productivity.

I'm on Windows 10 Pro with AMD Ryzen 5 5600X processor (Radeon Pro graphics card).

The hanging tends to happen just as a command is finished, before I can enter the next. Almost any command might trigger it: distance, erase, line, you name it. Keyboard input and cursor freeze, from as little as a fraction of a second to tens of seconds. Then it returns to normal, no errors reported.

It seems different from the lag described here:
    https://forum.bricsys.com/discussion/36289

or the jerkiness described here (which I've felt before, too, but not so recently...):
    https://forum.bricsys.com/discussion/37036

I've tried audits, setting coords=0, purging app ids, SAFEMODE, various visual styles, etc. but it keeps happening.

Before I file a support request, I'm curious if others have dealt with this.

When this happens - can you just minimize Bricscad and then restore Window to get rid of the "hanging"?
  • I haven't been getting the hanging problem since adjusting my DRAM frequency. It still crashes more than I'd like, mostly when working with 3D BIM drawings, but I set SAVETIME to 25 min. and am in the habit of hitting "qs" a lot.