How to align one object to Another?

Hi.
I'm new to 3D modeling,
and my question is this -
how do I align one object to Another?
I've attached a sample file and I need to go from situation A to situation B.

*situation B was created with smart mode,and I'm looking for a way to do it without (the "normal" way).

Thanks,
Ari.

Best Answers

• Chiyan
    Accepted Answer

Align is indeed not the easiest way to do it, I would prefer using constraints.
    To create situation A with constraints you only need Coincident and Concentric constraints, no need to use Parallel constraints. See video attached: I've deleted all the constraints in the drawing first to start clean and then applied 1 Coincident constraint and 1 Concentric constraint. Hope this helps.
    Kind regards,
    Chi-Yan

• Chiyan
    Accepted Answer

Video:

Answers

• For unconstrained objects I would use the Align command, selecting matching quadrants on the flange and elbow face. That gets them lined up and then perhaps a Move, center to center, to position the depth of the flange over the face.

The constraints in the example drawing are overriding, though. Simply moving B to be next to A in 3D space triggers constraints which puts the flange in front of the opening.

• @Richard Webb said:

The constraints in the example drawing are overriding, though. Simply moving B to be next to A in 3D space triggers constraints which puts the flange in front of the opening.

Thanks Richard.
    I've deleted al the constraints and I'm tiring to start from a "clean" situation.
    I did it with align command,selected 3 points (source and destination) and it was ok, but a little long processes.
    how do I apply a parallel constraint that will force one object to be parallel to another?

thanks,
    Ari.

• i'm using V21.2.07 pro, not v22 yet..