Create POINTCLOUDPOINTMAX icon?

Is it possible to create a toolbar icon or short keyboard proxy which goes direct to Setting POINTCLOUDPOINTMAX, either in a dialog or in the Commandline? It's cumbersome to have to type POINT then select from suggested commands, or to type POINTCLOUDP to go straight to the command. I have an icon for Settings>Point cloud settings but still have to select within that.

I need to change the setting constantly, to say 1m for clean rotation most of the time, then to 20m for a good image once rotation is 'composed'.

I'm disappointed with PC rotation, because to manage point clouds, I just upgraded to a Gigayte Aorus 17G gamer's laptop with i7 10875H 2.30GHz - I see up to 4.4GHz boosted; and 8GB RTX 2070 super max-Q.

While rotating/panning/zooming a point cloud given as 2.2GB in P C Ref Manager, Task Manager says 17% CPU @ 4.4GHz. With POINTCLOUDMAXPOINTS set to 1m points, 37% GPU and 36% memory; set to 20m points, 30% GPU and 43% memory.

At 1m, the point cloud rotates freely, but at 20m it's very stuttery and slow. That doesn't surprise me - except that both CPU and GPU are massively under-utilised. I'm not sure whether rotating etc is mainly a CPU or a GPU task, or both, and how far it's multithreaded.

I'm wondering i f there's any way to better utilise CPU and/or GPU - would be great if even at 20m points rotation etc can be as smooth as in
images.ctfassets.net/26961o1141cc/7voUBwj6dqswZDcBcw4Hds/c84f7d07890db5e3548a46473391eb4c/How_to_use_Point_Cloud_for_renovation_projects.png -
not perfect but much better than mine. I wonder what spec m/c Sian is using for the demo.

Comments

• Giving this a poke. It's really a question about programming aliases, or macros, or keystrokes or something - not particularly about point clouds.

• This might help you:

I can confirm that with POINTCLOUDMAXPOINTS set as 20mil the rotation/pan/zoom can be a bit slow. We usually suggest a value around 4mil for a smooth camera transition and good display quality.
    you might also benefit from activating POINTCLOUDADAPTIVEDISPLAY, which will give a better visual quality with a lower number of points loaded in memory.

• Hi Tom,
    in addition to the comment above, if you use the 'settings' icon in the pointcloud ribbon, it will take you directly to the pointcloud chapter of the settingsdialog.
    You might also want to try using only a selection in the pointcloudalign command, this works much faster.