Resize entity

Hi,

I'm moving to Bricscad ( Pro ) from my old CAD software. One thing I can't find is how to easily change the size ( not scale ) of an object.

Lets say I draw a cube 10x10x10mm. I now decide I need it to be 12x10x10. On my old CAD software this was simple, select the object, a dimensions panel shows up, enter 12 in the X dimension, done. The panel that shows up actually lets you manipulate the selection in may ways, absolute x,y,z position, relative x,y,z move, x,y,x rotation, x,y,z scale.... These are all things that I think should be easy to do but seem difficult in Bricscad. When I select my cube and bring up properties, I would have thought there should have been x,y,z sizes in there I could change, but no.

I am a noob with Bricscad, am I just missing something?

Thanks
Joel

Comments

• Editing solids is done in the same way as in AutoCAD. Select the desired surface / edge / vertex and rearrange it in space to the desired location. There is a special mode for the selection of solid surfaces. Or just keep CTRL pressed. To move surfaces in the latest version of BricsCad, you can use the ordinary Move command.
    This is the only correct way to work with a solid. Forget about the dimensions in the property panek. They are not needed. They do not allow you to select the correct direction of resizing. AutoCAD shows these dimensions only for boxing. But no real products in the real world are boxes.
  • btw. When modifying a large assembly of many solids, you do not need to select hundreds of surfaces one at a time. You can use a frame. In AutoCAD, you must hold down CTRL while doing this. Brics is ​​a little different. You need to click on one corner of the frame, then shortly click on Ctrl, then drag the frame to the desired location.
    I recommend that you read here: https://sites.google.com/site/avcplugins/likbez
  • Michael Mayer
    edited December 2021
    Joel_l said:

Hi,

On my old CAD software this was simple, select the object, a dimensions panel shows up, enter 12 in the X dimension, done. The panel that shows up actually lets you manipulate the selection in may ways, absolute x,y,z position, relative x,y,z move, x,y,x rotation, x,y,z scale....
    Thanks
    Joel

I also prefer your parametric approach, which I have in my other CAD.
    But it is not that bad in Bricscad's Direct Modeling either.

(Take a look at Bricscad Shape's short Direct Modeling Videos)

In this case :

1. Select Face by holding CTRL+LMB click
    (If you don't have Face Priority on already)

2. keep hovering your Cursor
    (QUAD Menu will appear)

3. click on PUSH/PULL Icon
    You can see that your initial Face Position stays marked in blue when
    moving the Face with the cursor.
    This is the current Plane that the Dynamic Dymension uses to define
    the Distance to move/pull.

4. Press TAB
    Tab will cycle through all other coplanar Faces in your Drawing View
    that can be used as an optional base for the Base/numerical input.
    (As there are only two coplanar static Faces for a Cube, a single TAB
    will already give the opposite Face, which you want)

This was a very complete step by step instruction.
    Once you got used to it it is far from complicated or tedious.
    Especially in your case with a single Cube.

For me I would describe that sequence more like :
    Hover Face - Push/Pull - Tab once - numeric input - Enter
  • It is just the difference between
    Parametric Modelling
    (Vectorworks, Allplan, Archicad, ..... )
    and
    Destructive Modelling
    (Bricscad, Microstation, ...)

As long as the CAD provides the proper Edit Tools,
    even Destructive Modeling does not have to feel slow, lossy
    or "destructive" at all.
    I think Bricscad's 3D Direct Modeling Tools are one of the best
    I have seen.

I just wished Bricscad would have the same Tool Palette on top
    of its destructive 2D Modeling, which currently is still 100%
    Autocad (compatible), unfortunately.
  • I did find the push pull tool and that does the job OK. I think a lot will have to do with getting used to doing things a different way. There are some things I like the way Bricscad does better but for some basic things TC was a whole bunch easier.

Thanks
    Joel
  • Thanks for the link. I suppose I will learn the shortcuts I could use often
    avc said:

I recommend that you read here: https://sites.google.com/site/avcplugins/likbez

• I recommend that you use the Move command and not PushPull. This is a more versatile way. PushPull cannot move holes inside solids. And I'm not sure if it works with large assemblies (however, I have not tried it since I only need one Move command).
  • I played with both, push/pull works well when doing a simple move of a face. I tried the move method and it does let you select other details, holes as you mention being one of them. With TC, I had to fill the hole with a solid, then make a new one ( at least for holes made subtracting a cylinder ). I have not used the "hole" tool to see it it acted different. Being able to move a hole is a nice feature.
  • I missed this step, it does work well for setting a new size.

Thanks
    Joel

Joel_l said:

Hi,

4. Press TAB
    Tab will cycle through all other coplanar Faces in your Drawing View
    that can be used as an optional base for the Base/numerical input.
    (As there are only two coplanar static Faces for a Cube, a single TAB
    will already give the opposite Face, which you want)

For me I would describe that sequence more like :
    Hover Face - Push/Pull - Tab once - numeric input - Enter