dynamic blocks

Draftsight now has the ability to convert and edit dynamic blocks.
Can we have this please?

https://www.draftsight.com/media/custom-blocks

Comments

• We have better option - parametric blocks.
    I'm fed-up of all this efforts to mimic AutoCAD instead to innovate and improve!
  • I have started creating parametric blocks, but we have thousands of dynamic blocks.
    To replace them is a lot of work, if we could update them when required it would be handy.
  • I have to chime in here: BricsCAD's parametric blocks aren't that great, especially when it comes to inserting new block instances and modifying existing instances of them. They are in fact severely limited. Part of the reason I bought BricsCAD was with how they advertised their parametric features... sorry but it didn't deliver. Many of these people touting the parametric blocks don't actually use them (or BricsCAD) on a day to day basis. More often than not these are people selling "services" and not people who do production work on a regular basis. Blocks in BricsCAD have simply fallen behind. It does seem to have good stable support for blocks made in AutoCAD however. I think it recognizes Action Parameters, Custom User Parameters and constraints, and is reasonably stable. I have to test it out more before I can say for sure though (and for the record I avoid constraints in AutoCAD blocks).

In a previous promotional video, a BricsCAD rep even recommends "getting ahold" of a copy of AutoCAD to create your blocks (prior to demonstrating BricsCAD's ability to use those blocks).

Dynamic blocks with actions are far quicker to use, especially for more 'casual' users. Grips are right on the block where the user's focus actually is. Actions are quick and easy to set up. And they are far more stable (less crashes) than parametric blocks. And if you ever get into LISP and using it to manipulate the dynamic block parameters, holy cow! Since many of AutoCAD's competitors are going the "Dynamic" route, compatibility between programs will dictate that this is the most ideal approach. Doing anything beyond AutoCAD's capabilities might, unfortunately, create compatibility issues between it and BricsCAD... this would remove one of BricsCAD's best strengths compared to many of it's competitors.

There are work-arounds for BricsCAD's lack of dynamic blocks: Remember that AutoCAD LT includes all dynamic block creation functionality (it just doesn't include constraints). You can "stick it" to AutoCAD by actually taking advantage of their subscription model and leasing the program for just a month, or whatever amount of time it takes you to create all your blocks. GstarCAD also includes what is basically the same functionality as AutoCAD LT's block editor. I've so far had success using blocks created in GstarCAD in BricsCAD, but would again have to caution that I've only done limited testing. I know that files with attachments created in GstarCAD will instantly lock up when opened in BricsCAD, so compatibility is not perfect between the two; it's a shame because each program's features compliment one-another's quite well.

Corel CAD also has dynamic blocks, and I think one other CAD. Haven't used them (neither has anyone else as far as I know ;-) ).
  • AFAIK Acad's dynamic blocks are so tightly patented that it's impossible to even program same functionality from scratch. So it's surprising Draftsight has it. But Draftsight uses same 3rd party technology as Brics also licenses, so shd be possible in Brics.