Layerstate in Viewport

Hi,
I wanted to make a suggestion, that would be great to make it possible in BricsCAD.
I like working with one drawing, (architect).
So, I usually use this drawing to put all the information I need in to this file, using many Layers, Xrefs and Blocks.
When it comes to layout different Information, I use the Layer manager to organize the content I want to show in the Viewport, So I set up VP-Freeze for the different Layers.

Now the problem is that if the working process is going on, I add new Layers to the drawing, But the viewports cannot handle that, just globally show or not new layers.
I manually have to go back to each viewport and set up the layers again as I require them. I can save a layerstate, but I manually have to select every viewport where I want to apply this layerstate.

My QUESTION:
Ist possible to make an attribute to the Viewport, so I can apply a layerstate to it?
Every time my drawing is growing with layers I just have to save a layerstate and all viewports with this layerstates are updated.

f.

Comments

• I'd like that too. My template file has very few layers, and I add more layers only as needed. I think most people work differently, keeping every layer they might ever want to use in every .dwg file.

I think it would be possible to make a custom command that does what you suggested, but it would take me a long time to write. It would include two functions:
    1. A function that creates, and later adds to, a list of viewports, together with the layout that each one is on and the layerstate that's assigned to it. That function would have to be run each time you create a viewport that needs limited visibility, or whenever you decide to add limited visibility to an existing viewport.
    2. A function that races around the file, finding all the viewports in that list, and going into each one and restoring the appropriate layerstate. That would have to be run whenever you update a layerstate. It would be an automated version of what you're doing now, and you'd probably have to wait 5 or 10 seconds for it to run in a complex file.
  • fs_at12 said:

Hi,
    My QUESTION:
    Ist possible to make an attribute to the Viewport, so I can apply a layerstate to it?
    Every time my drawing is growing with layers I just have to save a layerstate and all viewports with this layerstates are updated.

f.

As far as I understood it is possible to assign a Layer state to a Viewport (?)

But I am not sure if VPs will update automatically or if you would need to
    do that manually.

And I have the same with Layer states as with Saved Views (in Vectorworks).
    They are so fast outdated while modeling and creating new Layers.
    So you are working more to keep these current than they save work when
    using them. In VW there is the option to Duplicate Layers (and Classes) which
    inherit if they will be added to Viewports or not. But that still needs much
    concentration and is error prone.
    I am not sure if this will also work in Bricscad, when you select a specific
    Layer before creating a new Layer, which will take its previous attributes.