How can I sort data extracted to a table?

I'am trying to add list of rooms into my project (based on block attributes) but it is completely unsorted, I want to sort it according to room number. How this can be done?

Comments

• Each block has a handle. If you data-extract the blocks to excel with a "handle" column and "attribute" column, (or whatever property the room number will populate), then you can process your data in excel and it will be related to a specific block. That might be enough in some cases. It will give you a bit of control.
  • I'am working with Linux version, there is no excel link at all. I can only export to csv and link back to table in drawing ... which is ... clumsy
  • If lisp is supported then use vl-sort function, else you need to write say a bubble sort routine.
  • You mean that I should sort table with lisp after creation or create my own data extraction routine in lisp?
  • I'am working with Linux version, there is no excel link at all. I can only export to csv and link back to table in drawing ... which is ... clumsy

data-extract csv including "handle", then use excel *spreadsheet of choice* to sort and manage transfer
  • Vaclav Cermak
    edited February 2022
    Yes, that's what I meant in my post from 9:15AM. I can even use some bash script linked to right click in nautilus to sort the csv. It will work, but it is inconvenient.
  • aridzv
    edited February 2022
    @Vaclav Cermak
    unfortunately there is no way to sort tables by column directly through the data extraction command in bricscad (in autocad it is possible...),
    and that leaves you with the two options mentioned here earlier:
    1. like you wrote before: export to .csv,do the sorting there and import it back with data link (this is what I'm doing,and yes - it is some what clumsy...).
    2. like ALANH suggested - write a lisp,or ask people to help you with that in LISP Codes section of this forum.

Regards,
    Ari.
  • Vaclav Cermak
    edited February 2022
    I have filled a feature request SR about that. In my opinion this should definitely be possible as unsorted data are usually useless for presentation.
  • I have filled a feature request SR about that. In my opinion this should definitely be possible as unsorted data are usually useless for presentation.

I totally agree with you.
    This is absolutely something that should be an integral part of the DataExtraction tool, just like in AutoCAD.

Ari.
  • I make tables all the time and you sort the data in a list then make the table. I have sorted up to 5 levels deep for blocks, Name att1 att2 att3 att4 and so on. You say in 1st post have block with attributes so say sort on room name as key.

You should always post a dwg or an image for this type of question.
  • So you mean that "create an external table (csv or xls), sort it and import back as table" approach or something more convenient?
  • @Vaclav Cermak
    I think that you should open a discussion in the lisp section of the forum and ask for help over there with a lisp that will do what you need.
    Regards,
    Ari.

• Yes, I will. Thank you all here.
  • You could also have a look at JTB Sort Table in the application catalog, it allows you to sort tables after importing them into BricsCAD.

https://boa.bricsys.com/applications/a/?jtb-sort-table-a1101-al1920
  • I have found it, but it is windows only.
  • RSW
    RSW
    edited February 2022
    Just noticed when reading the whole thread that you are on Linux, missed that. Then a LISP routine is probably the only way to solve this for you.
  • I'am on Linux.

In fact, it is the main reason why I started using Bricscad about ten years ago. I used to like Microstation much more than Autocad like CADs before. The main reason for switch was the fact, that Bentley discontinued Linux version of Microstation.