multiple pedit problem

I create DXFs for laser cutting. I often start with CorelDraw artwork - this is saved as DXF, then processed with SplineExplode which converts the splines to polylines with arcs and curves. I then convert the polylines to regions, which can be combined using SUBTRACT and UNION. The final step is to explode the resulting regions and combine the lines and arcs to closed polylines. The integrity of the file for Laser cutting is demonstrated by the fact that the resulting polylines are closed. At least, this is how I used to work with Autocad 15.
But for some reason this doesn't work with Bricscad 22 - selecting multiple polylines and using the JOIN option (and even applying a FUZZ of 1 ) results in several partially complete polylines which I then have to manually join together to create closure, with difficult-to-track small bits that are hard to find in a complex drawing.
Maybe I am missing something with the multiple pedit?
I know this sounds complicated but it has worked very well for me up to now! I really need to get this working properly as it is creating delays and errors in my work...
Thanks
J

Comments

• I create also DXFs for lasercutting. No problems here. Is it possible to post an example? or dwg
  • Hi JanJaap - here is a file demonstrating the problem. No matter what I do with the 'join' sub-command I get the result on the right. I can select one of the joined segments and 'loin' other segments to it without the 'multiple' setting, but on a complex drawing this is error prone. Also this option only works on contiguous elements. As I said using this command in the other cad program I could convert all segments to separate closed polylines with two keystrokes 'multiple' and 'join'.
  • Roy Klein Gebbinck
    edited February 2022
    I suppose you are using the _Pedit command. Try using the _Join command. The _Boundary command may also be useful.
  • @jeremiawuzza

As Roy suggested the Boundary command does it.
    Lee Mac also has a routine on his website which you can create polylines directly from your regions.
    http://www.lee-mac.com/outlineobjects.html

I tried them both on your file and they worked perfectly.

There is another routine he has called Chain Selection which you can use to test your drawing with to see if the entities have been joined. http://www.lee-mac.com/chainsel.html

If they are all selected as you wish, just type JOIN and they will be joined as you require.

JOIN as Roy pointed out is a command in its own right so you don't need to get to it via PEDIT.

HTH
  • Thanks all - the JOIN command worked - created 2 closed polylines. The Lee Mac routines look interesting also - I will experiment!