polyface to solid

Hi BricsCAD community,

we changed without any problems from ACAD to BC Pro V21.2.03...as far as good :)

Now to my problem: We use a 3th party stairdesign module AICADstair from BauCAD witch brings out a polyface mesh as handrail when its special profiled and if we export the 3D model with udatasmith to Twinmotion the handrail isn´t imported/visualzied. I think because of the polyface mesh instead a needed 3D solid?! Is there a possibility to convert such meshes like in my file to a solid that the Twinmotion importer can handle it?!

Greetings from germany

Danny

Comments

• Hi,

I think the best solution is for you to close the ends of your handrail and do a CONVTOSOLID operation. If it returns an unsuccessful result, convert it to a normal mesh before converting it again into a solid.

Hope this helps.

Kin
  • Hello DannyG,
    Please follow these steps:

1 convert the polyface mesh to a Surface (brep) using the CONVTOSURFACE command (displayed with green color)
    2. create a bounding solid box using the attached lisp routine BoundingBox.lsp
    Load the routine using the APPLOAD command, call the GETBBOX command and select the surface
    created in step 2
    3. Slice the bounding box (red) using the SLICE command with the 3points option !
    [Object/Surface/Zaxis/View/XY/YZ/ZX/Line-point/3points/Multislice] <3points>:
    Select 3 points on the lower edge curve of the surface as displayed in the screenshot....

4. slice both parts of the sliced box with the surface (green) using the Surface option of the SLICE command and keeping both parts of the sliced solids...!
    [Object/Surface/Zaxis/View/XY/YZ/ZX/Line-point/3points/Multislice<3points>:

5. Now you have 4 solids and and 2 of them are the 2 parts of the handrail !
    If you union them you have the handrail in solid form (brep)....somehow bricscad doesn't UNION them using the UNION command so use the following workaround
    6. Union the 2 solids with the hollow spaces with the UNION command and then subtract the created solid with the handrail as the hollow space from the original bounding box using the SUBTRACT command
    you get the handrail in solid form (yellow)

I hope this helps...enjoy
    you find attached the DWG file with all the steps and the BoundingBox.lsp routine
  • Thanks for this excellent visualized workaround Konstantin. I have successfully tested and can now looking forward to create the project with more than 10 of this turns. I will post some TwinMotion Pics when ready!
  • ...glad to hear you succeeded !
    Greetings from germany too :)
  • DannyG
    edited April 2022
    first project successful rendered this way....now it´s time for production in our factory..
    measuring via FLEXIJET3D Laserscan, constructed in Bricscad pro combined between hand-draw and AICADstair AddOn...rendered in TwinMotion

• Beautiful renderings ! thanks for publishing :)