Importing Layer States & Linetypes

Hello all,
Brand new user. I have tried navigating the forum but cannot seem to find my answer. I have set up my default layers with the colors and line types. I then head to Tools\Drawings Explorer\Layer States and save(export) my Layer State. I then start a new job and import the layer state. I have all of my layers but the line types default back to continuous. I did check the box during the import to restore ALL properties. What am I missing?

Version 22.1.07(x64) Ultimate

Comments

• It might be easier to create a template with all your default layers and their properties as well as other settings etc. That template can also contain project specific layer states if you want.

This is what I have done and so far it works and saves you the hassle of having to import again for each new job.
  • Do you have an idea how to initially get VW Classes over from VW as Layers in DWG ?
    (To create Bricscad File Templates)

AFAIK VW will export Layers that are in use only.
    (Would have to add a Dummy Cube to each Class or such things ...)
  • I just checked with VW22 and it still only exports classes that are in use no matter which export route you take, even if you set up class mappings to dwg layers it only exports classes that are in use.
    So your only recourse is to add a dummy object e.g. line or anything else to each class you want to export.

Apparently they still don't fully understand the proper use of project templates at VW Inc. when working with other CAD programs. This is one of the things that makes VW useless for full roundtripping with DWG cad software, you just can't leave out classes/layers because they are not used at the moment, it will cripple the dwg file's layer structure and you have to fix it every time on the dwg side.
  • mja, I might need to import a large old project and do the rest manually ....

BTW
    VW can import DWG Materials, but unfortunately forgets them when exporting DWG.
    VW does a lot of creative (or accidental) design decisions.

> import the layer state. I have all of my layers but the line types default back to continuous.

Does not sound good if Bricscad does not import all of Layer's settings.
    Does it import Layer's Material Assignments ?
    (As I likely would do import as much of my CAD standards first - but want a clean
    File for a Template - and just importing things from imported DWG source files
    by Drawing Explorer
  • Well... by now I wouldn't call the VW export issues accidental, Ireally don't know if they are so entrenched in their VW bubble that it has become a blind spot, lack of comprehension of the issue or just plain unwillingness to care about proper roundtripping for DWG files.
  • RSW
    RSW
    edited March 2022
    Regarding the layer states, before you save the layer state did you check/turn on all properties that you want to restore with that layer state?

E.g. if linetype is not checked before you save the layer state then it will not import the linetype into the new drawings when you import the layer state.

I tried with linetype checked/unchecked and it did/did not import respectively. Could you check your layer state settings, as it could be that the restoring linetype may not have been checked when you saved the layer state.
  • > I tried with linetype checked/unchecked and it did/did not import respectively. Could you check your layer state settings, as it could be that the restoring linetype may not have been checked when you saved the layer state.

Great, I will play with this.
  • I did a test with just dragging all Layers from a Project into a blank File
    via Drawing Explorer.

For me it looks good.
    The Layers in Target File seem to keep all Settings,
    including Material Assignments.
    Bricscad even also imported Dependencies automatically.
    Materials in my cases.

So when you want Layers, why not importing the Layer States
    and not just the Layers ?

(I have no Layer States, so I am not sure if these will also come
    over automatically as dependencies, when importing the Layers)
  • And I am not familiar with Layer States meaning.

Are Layer States something like VW's Layer Filters,
    to just hide unneeded Layers ?

Or is it like VW's overwriting of VW Classes Settings
    for Viewports ?
  • RSW
    RSW
    edited March 2022

And I am not familiar with Layer States meaning.

Are Layer States something like VW's Layer Filters,
    to just hide unneeded Layers ?

Or is it like VW's overwriting of VW Classes Settings
    for Viewports ?

Layer states is similar to VW's saved views. It saves the status (on/off, plot/no-plot etc.) and properties of the layers.

So if you want to quickly hide/unhide multiple layers at once or change the plot/no-plot status on a regular basis when working on a project then layer states come in handy. Or to transfer those settings to another project file. In the latter case templates might be a better option for starting a new project file and use it for updating an already created project file.

Though VW's saved views has some additional advantages that Layer States doesn't have by itself.
  • Thanks,

OK, so mainly a Visibility Control only.
    But you can also change other Layer Settings like Color and such,
    if available in the Layer State properties list.
  • When layer states are used/created I use it for visibility or plot/no-plot. Would have to try for changing colour, linetype etc. , could come in handy in some cases if that would work well.