Cure for the circle jaggies

This is maddening. Anyone know how to smooth out the "jaggies" on cylinders? See pic for example.

Comments

• I forgot where and which Settings,
    but there are some that will better the displaying of round geometry in
    Drawing View - with the disadvantage of slowing down the view ....
  • RSW
    RSW
    edited March 2022
    There are a few things affecting this:
    VIEWRES - the default is 100, setting it to 2000 (max. value is 10000) will solve almost (99.99%) of circle jaggies. Try increasing the VIEWRES value to see if that solves your issue. At some point you will still have this happening depending on how the shape was created and how far you have to zoom in. Given the look of the circle line it looks like it is probably a VIEWRES value and zooming in issue.

When it comes to things like mesh surfaces etc. then a few things need a look;
    TABSURF1, TABSURF2 control the number of 360° sections when it comes to EDGESURF, REVSURF and TABSURF commands. The higher the value the less jagged/sectioned it will look but it comes at a performance cost, i.e. it requires more CPU performance and may cause some slowing down.
    It may also affect curved shapes like circles depening on how it was generated/created.
  • Tim Neumann
    edited March 2022
    Yeah I already had VIEWRES set at 15000, it has no effect I'm afraid. Sent a support request for this same issue a couple of years ago. They suggested the following settings:

SpaUseFacetRes=0, SpaSurfaceTol=-0.25, SpaNormalTol=15 and SpaMaxNumGridLines=2048

Those settings helped at the time but don't now. Guess something got tweaked on V22.
  • Ok made a discovery. Changed SpaSurfaceTol setting to 0.005 and that fixed it. Keep in mind my settings for facetres=10 and viewres=15000 (no fast zooms) were not changed. See pic for result.
  • I assume this means you are not using the FACETRES system variable, because if that one is used then the SpaSurfaceTol and SpaNormalTol variables are ignored.

It may very well be that things were tweaked on V22, I've already found some things that changed from V21 to V22 because of merging some of these in settings.
  • RSW said:

I assume this means you are not using the FACETRES system variable, because if that one is used then the SpaSurfaceTol and SpaNormalTol variables are ignored.

It may very well be that things were tweaked on V22, I've already found some things that changed from V21 to V22 because of merging some of these in settings.

Actually forgot to add that FACETRES was set at 10 also, didn't make a difference for me at least.