Quick line adjustment

I have this template and need a quick way to extend "A" & "B" by 1mm as I need to create widths up to 2000mm ( each drawing will be saved as a new file) so any size can be dropped into our fibre laser, rather than having to keep changing it manually.

Thanks
James

Comments

• Jim Canale
    edited March 2022
    Your drawing did not make clear which dimensions you want fixed, and which you want to change.. Anyway, I believe you accomplish what you want with 2D geometrical and dimensional constraints. Bricsys used to have a good video tutorial on 2D constraints. it showed how to use 2D constraints to change a cellphone design to a tablet. The display window changed with the size and shape of the housing. But I can't find the video anymore. The key is to apply the correct geometric constraints before applying dimensional constraints. For instance, in your case you would make the sides parallel or at right angles, or both. To make the corner notches symmetrical to a center axis, you'd add a center axis and apply a symmetrical constraint.

I created a drawing for you. If you double click either of the dimensions you wanted to change, you can enter a new number. I've found that to apply the new dimension, you have to move the mouse cursor off the dimension and right click.
  • Jim

I want the two ends "3.786" to stay the same, "1.250" to stay the same, "0.75" to stay the same. But if I add 1mm to d7 I want d3 to follow automatically by adding the same without me having to manually input the size for d3. Is this possible.

As I have to start from 200 and provide drawings right up to 2000 which will take some time I'm tying to reduce my input time by just change one dimension.

Thanks
    James
  • James,

Attached is a modified version of Jim's drawing (so it is in inches). If you save the file somewhere on your hard drive and use BMINSERT in a new drawing, the shape will then be editable in the Properties Panel with just one Parameter A as per your original drawing. Each time you put a new value to A, the B dimension (in your original screenshot) will change to suit. All other dimensions will remain exactly as they were.
    If you BMINSERT this drawing into a metric drawing the Parameter value will be in metric.
    Hopefully, that is what you were after.
  • That's exactly what is was after Thanks

James :)

James,

Attached is a modified version of Jim's drawing (so it is in inches). If you save the file somewhere on your hard drive and use BMINSERT in a new drawing, the shape will then be editable in the Properties Panel with just one Parameter A as per your original drawing. Each time you put a new value to A, the B dimension (in your original screenshot) will change to suit. All other dimensions will remain exactly as they were.
    If you BMINSERT this drawing into a metric drawing the Parameter value will be in metric.
    Hopefully, that is what you were after.

• Thanks David. You're better at this stuff than I am....