exporting the layout set from one file to another - possible ?

Assaf Ben-Nun
edited March 2022 in 2D Drafting
hi all -

I have a file with many layouts ( around 20) - i want to export this set of layouts (each with it's entire content and definitions) to another file, instead of creating each layout from scratch in the new file.
is there a way to do so ?

Thanx,
Assaf

*** edit ***
all web searches regarding the above result in explanations on basically how to PUBLISH layouts to PDF/DWF/etc. (or how to convert a layout into model space....), RATHER than the simple act of having an entire set of paperspace layouts in a certain file exported/transferred into another (dwg) file to be used there.....
i would have thought this should both be a rather "easy/simple" task in CAD, as well as much required one while managing drawing files ....... Or was i wrong ? .....

Comments

• Hi Assif,

This is the way I do it. In the target dwg:

1. right-click a layout tab. A pop-up appears - select "from Template".
    2. A file browser dialog then appears. Change files of type from ".dwt" to ".dwg".
    3. browse to the layout source dwg.
    4. Dialog apears with the layouts in a listbox. Select the ones (or all) which you wish to import.

Kind regards

Dan
  • Hi Assif,

This is the way I do it. In the target dwg:

1. right-click a layout tab. A pop-up appears - select "from Template".
    2. A file browser dialog then appears. Change files of type from ".dwt" to ".dwg".
    3. browse to the layout source dwg.
    4. Dialog apears with the layouts in a listbox. Select the ones (or all) which you wish to import.

Kind regards

Dan

Thanx a lot, Dan !!
    This gives me a work-around the problem of an occasional file size inflation due to nested blocks within blocks. I understood from other threads this has something to do with DGN ghost entities, but couldn't get suggested solutions there to reduce my file size.
    With what you just explained, i can quite easily export the model space to a new file (this eliminates the "ghosts" and reduces the file size), and then add the LAYOUTS from the inflated file, according to what you explained.

two related issues, if someone can elaborate -
    1. color preferences i made to layers in XREF files within my target file - restore themselves to those of the original XREF file (not wanted).
    2. would still be appreciative for a solution/explanation on how to reduce file size back to normal without having to go through all this.....

thanx Very much -
    Assaf
  • The Layout command has a Template option so can pull a layout from another dwg or dwt.

Re dgn not sure Bricscad but Acad updated purge to remove the dgn ghosts.

Have a dwg with 49 layouts various clients and pull into current dwg the correct one then use LAYOUT C to copy as required.