2D Parametric Creation only during block creation

I have just come to create another 2D parametric drawing and have started having all sorts of difficulties.

I thought perhaps it was a recent update (of Bricscad) which was causing the issue so I updated to the latest .03 release and was still getting the same problems.

I then remembered seeing a video where the parametric was created after turning it into a block.

I tried this and lo and behold things started working as they should :-)

Sadly this workflow is a complete nightmare, every time you go to save you have to save the block and then save the drawing and then go back into the block editor and carry on from where you were.

Believe me you need to save a lot when creating parametric drawings to make sure you don't lose anything.

Bricscad crashed during this block editing and I lost 2 hours of parametric creation as when I opened the drawing again the block had gone!

I am used to saving every few edits, so this double saving is driving me crazy; as if you press Ctrl + S as my muscle memory has got used to over the decades of cad drawing it flings you out of the block editor.

This isn't a trivial request as some of my parametric drawings can take almost a whole day to create, so going backwards and forwards like this will double my creation time.

Can someone just confirm that the only way you can now create 2D parametrics is via block editing, so I can put in an SR to try and persuade Bricsys to at least have the option to work in the block editor and as you were able to previously when you were just editing a plain drawing?

Of course, there is the distinct possibility that I am doing something completely wrong, so more than happy to be shown the error of my ways. :-)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• RSW
    RSW
    edited April 2022
    What happens if you export the block to a dwg file and then use that file to add the parametrics.
    Upon (re)inserting the block it should work (at least in theory).

Even though my blocks are almost exclusively 3D parametric blocks I create those from scratch in a dwg file and then import them as blocks, theoretcially it should work the same for 2D. Did you try this?

• > I am used to saving every few edits, so this double saving is driving me crazy; as if you press Ctrl + S as my muscle memory has got used to over the decades of cad drawing it flings you out of the block editor.

That annoyed my too.

Also when the : leave Block Editor - save/dismiss/... disappears from your palettes,
    because you used some other Tools.
    I am not sure but I think, maybe pressing ESC would dismiss and CTRL+S would save
    your Block changes (?)
  • Hi RSW,

Thanks for the reply.

Previously I created a 2D Parametric drawing as an ordinary drawing file (no blocks in it at all) and kept this drawing in a folder with all of my parametric drawings.

I would then do BMINSERT and navigate to the drawing I wanted and inserted it and changed the parameters that needed to be changed using the Properties Palette.

This seems to me a perfectly acceptable way of working.

I now don't seem to be able to just create the parametric drawing so I can do this.

------------------------------------------

This time I finished my Block Edit, came out of the Block Editor by saving the changes and saved my drawing (phew!).

So how do I now insert this drawing/block into another drawing?

If I use BMINSERT, I get the drawing inserted but nothing shows up in the Properties Palette to enable me to make any changes. If I double click it I get the Reference Edit dialogue and press OK, All the geometric constraints and dimensional constraints (of which there are dozens and obscure the drawing) show up, but the only ones I can alter (by double-clicking on them) are dimensional constraints that aren't driven by User Constraints as nothing shows up in the Properties Palette to allow me to alter them.

If I go into the Mechanical Browser, then I can alter my User Constraints, but the drawing is still obscured with all the constraints so this can't be the correct way of doing this.

OK, so I have progressed!

If I wblock my block, I can now insert this into my new drawing using either BMINSERT or straight INSERT and the User Parameters (albeit in a changed order) show up in the Properties Palette!

Hopefully this is something like Bricsys imagined it working.

I just can't get away from the long-winded way I have to do the creation in the Block Editor, going in and out of it just to save the drawing.

Hopefully all the above made sense?