Dimension Style overrides removal ?????

How do I remove Dimension style override??? I have deleted all of the dim from the drawing and purges everything, but it still will not delete. Mabe if I delete the file and burn the hard drive??? Is there a way to prevent this in the future? Thx

Comments

• I was wrong and I apologize to the community. My problem was not the override, it was the annotation scale. I had started a new drawing with a new template.

I still do not understand the Dimension Overrides. Because it is not removable it must be a condition. It's not in the settings dialog. Yes, it can be reset but why is it occurring??????
  • Anthony Apostolaros
    edited May 2022

.....I still do not understand the Dimension Overrides. Because it is not removable it must be a condition. It's not in the settings dialog. Yes, it can be reset but why is it occurring??????

As one example of the use of overrides, I have only one dimension style in my drawings, and its text height and arrow size are set to look right in a full-size drawing. So I set the ScaleFactor for all the dimension entities in a drawing equal to the inverse of the scale of the viewport it will be seen through. If the viewport scale is 1/8" = 1'-0", which is 1/96, or 0.010416666, then all the dimension entities seen in that viewport have DSO = 96. The viewport makes the text and arrowheads 1/96th as large as they are in model space, so in model space I make them 96 times as large as I want them to print.

I think when I do that I'm creating a dimension override, because I'm overriding one of the properties specified in the style definition. Some people do it differently -- they use a different dimension style for each scale. Then they never have to override a dimension style's ScaleFactor.

I set the ScaleFactor for dimension entities by applying a custom command called SF to all the dimension entities in a drawing. Actually, I just do that for the first dimension entity in a drawing, or I copy an entity with that ScaleFactor from another drawing or from my Scales.dwg file. For subsequent dimension entities, I mirror or copy a dimension entity in that drawing, or use my custom reverse-Matchprop command to copy the ScaleFactor and all other properties from an entity with the right ScaleFactor.

I could also do it by selecting all the dimension entities and changing their "Dim scale overall" property in the Properties panel. But dimension entities have a lot of properties, and I hate scrolling down the Properties panel and searching for that property. So I use SF instead.

Another way to set those overrides would be to create a default override definition for my dimension style, by selecting the "overrides on Std" row in the Dimension Styles tab of the Drawing Explorer and setting Dim scale overall = 96. Then any dimensions I create will automatically have ScaleFactor = 96. If I don't do that, all the dimension entities are drawn with ScaleFactor = 1.

To answer your question, I think that's why there's always an override row in the Dimension Styles tab of the Drawing Explorer -- so you can set the overrides before drawing the dimension entity. You can use that default override feature if you want, or you can ignore it. If you never use it, new dimension entities are created without any overrides. Until I saw your post, I had forgotten that there's a thing called "dimension overrides." I use them all the time (I think), but I don't use the default override method, so I'm not aware of the term.

• Thank you very much. I understand now. I can see how this might be useful to the Architectual and Civil people. Most of my work is Electrical or mechanical. In years past I just made Dimension styles with larger or smaller font. Again, thank You.