disappearing wall sections

I'm fairly new to bricscad bim, but not bricscad , autocad or revit. Just having a small issue with strange openings in walls appearing when I insert a door or window.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Comments

• Not sure if this is what is causing a portion of your walls to disappear, but I have a similar problem if I initially insert a door or window at the end of a wall and then try to move it (the program can't "heal" the wall if there was initially no wall left beyond the component edge).
  • There were a couple of times the opening snapped to a corner when inserting, so that might have been it. I'll have a play and see if I can replicate that.
  • if I initially insert a door or window at the end of a wall and then try to move it (the program can't "heal" the wall if there was initially no wall left beyond the component edge).

That describes my experience, too. Do not let the (usually frozen) BC_subtract solids overlap any boundary faces of the target wall, including mitered faces at wall intersections. I've learned to insert windows and doors away from any edges of walls, and move them closer to edges if needed after cleanly inserted.

When unwanted holes do linger, it usually works to manually fill in the missing solid and unite it with the main wall solid. Sometimes the window then needs to be unlinked ('bmUnlink') and re-linked ('bmLink') to the wall.
  • There is a "Update Window" tool in quad when you hover over the Window.
    That will recalculate the Opening - and usually be able to heal the broken Wall.
    At least it worked in the near past that way .....

(In the very past, after inserting of Windows or Door, a Wall could be easily
    destroyed and would never heal again - just by moving the Window.
    That was largely improved at one point and usually just moving the Window
    would heal the Wall automatically.
    In the very rare cases when this did fail, manually Update Window usually
    was able to heal)
  • On a related note, when creating/modifying BIM window and door components to be utilized in my drawings recently, I intentionally made the windows and doors smaller in width than I might typically use so I can more easily fit them into tight spots on my drawings using the default width. I'll have to enlarge most of them after I drop them in, but I'm hoping to reduce the amount of wall problems I have. Kind of silly, perhaps.
  • Hi Chris,

As pointed out by Michael Mayer, Update Window (in the Quad, on the Modeling ribbon, or BIMWINDOWUPDATE command) should do the trick.

If it doesn't, could you send us the .dwg file (here, or in a support request ), so we can investigate further?

Best regards,

Ruben
  • Thanks for all the feedback, playing with a further, it seems to happen when OS is on and it snaps to a point of the surface/solid and the door/window is inserted with part of the object projecting past the edge of the solid or surface.

tip of the day is to not insert objects into a wall with OS on!