Changing Insertion Point of BIM Windows & Doors

Is it possible to change the insertion point of BIM windows and doors in BricsCad? Typically, the default setting is for these to be anchored in the lower left hand corner, I believe. So, when you insert a window and begin sizing it, it expands/contracts from there. I would prefer to change the insertion point to the centerline of windows, preferably at the head (top edge), rather than sill (bottom edge). This is because windows are often aligned with typical door heights, so it makes sense to start at the top, locking in the head location and then adjusting downward with varying window heights, etc. The centerline justification is also beneficial in many cases, particularly for folks like me who tend to dimension to the centerline of windows, sometimes centering them in rooms, etc. I was trying to figure out how to edit the window/door components in the library to change this but I see it's not possible to simply move the geometry inside the base file to make this happen (without making some other change that I haven't been able to figure out yet). Has anyone done this?

Comments

• Update: I figured out how to adjust window component insertion points by first removing two of the standard fixed constraints (Fix_2, Fix_3) set in the base file (which locked the side and bottom face of the subtractor solid in place relative to 0, 0), then moving all the entities (including subtractor solid) to center the window head at 0, 0. This allows the window height to adjust in relation to the head location, rather than up from the old sill insertion point. It's helpful to freeze most of the layers to see just the subtractor box once you've moved the entities as noted above. Next, I added a point on the BC_Subtract layer at 0, 0 (which, again, is the window centerline). I then fixed the point in place as an anchor (wasn't sure how else to provide a justification point for scaling at the center of the window). Next, I added a fixed dimension of W/2 from the right face of the subtractor solid to the new reference point, which allows the window width to adjust in size relative to the centerline of the window (where the point is also located). This describes how the process works for a single (1x1) window. It should be similar for more complex windows. I have not done this for doors yet, but I think a similar approach using the last couple steps here (from point insertion onward) would work, if centerline justification is desired.
  • Yes! I have followed that process for new window and door components that I've made and similarly updated a few, though not nearly all, of the pre-packaged windows. Bricsys should hire more architects to consult on such items. Of course, there are plenty of times to dimension RO or frame size as well as to centerline. The translation from 3D BIM to 2D output, while advertised as seamless, generally continues to cause me grief in multiple ways, one major category of which has to do with certain "hardwired" settings or choices that defy both industry conventions and user modification.

At least with parametric component blocks it's possible (if not simple) to redefine insertion points. Related to that effort, I've struggled with coordinating linework on BRX_2D layers with the parametric 3D model: https://forum.bricsys.com/discussion/37114
    I'm curious how you were able to fix the point entity that you created on the BC_Subtract layer. Did you use _dmFix3d? For me, point entities disobey that constraint; I have to use coincident constraints instead.
  • I can live OK with the below left center limit for insertion.

My problem is more that parapet heights are usually interesting from finish floor level.
    (Like having +90 cm to not fall out of the Window and such)
    But you need to insert Bricscad Windows from the outside of the Wall - where the
    outer Wall Bottom may likely sit on Bottom of the Slab or something else.

So you have to always do some manual math to find the correct Window bottom value.
  • Thank you Scott and Michael. The changes to the (centered) insertion point location for windows and doors seems to be working fairly well, for the most part, with windows now inserting at the head. However, of the doors and windows I created I have three doors that, for some reason, aren't updating correctly (I replaced my old files in the folder the program pulls from several times) and these come in behind the wall, rather than cutting a hole in it, even though my subtractor solid and 0,0 are in the same location relative to the door entities as other doors I modified that work fine. I'll have to experiment more with those.

As for the point, I just created one at 0,0, then clicked on it and added a Fixation constraint to lock it in place. Then, i created the dimensional constraint (DMDISTANCE3d ?) between the point and right face of the subtractor solid via the Quad. It seemed to work fine. I started with a small line as an anchor but then realized a point might work. It is on the BC_Subtract layer. Working with hinged door 2d linework in coordination with the 3d component sizing is challenging, but I muddled my way through it, copying other examples and setting linear and radius parameters (first via the mechanical browser, then more easily using the Parametric ribbon options).

I wasn't satisfied with the standard BIM doors and windows and felt they should have trim and handles, etc., so I created my own using a BricsCad tutorial from 2016. However, I haven't created any stacked (2x2, etc) style windows yet, so that will get more complicated (I do have several other configurations). I agree sometimes it's appropriate to dimension a window rough opening rather than to centerline, though I essentially stopped doing that after getting burned when window selection changed mid-stream and I had to change all the dimensions based on different manufacturer sizing (you know how contractors tend to influence product selection). However, I think I'd still prefer to insert and size windows (and exterior doors) using the centerline, even if I dimension otherwise. FYI: I'm in the U.S. (Michigan)...not sure if dimensioning standards might vary in your area/region.

I too am frustrated with the way components look when plotting 2d construction drawings and frankly, I haven't been using BIM features much partly due to that and because I'm not efficient at it. I typically just use it for projects where clients want a 3d model. I tend to want to proceed and plot using the "old school" cad way of doing things. I put in a request or two for some flexibility in the way walls/components are hatched for cleaner plotting (I don't like the cross hatch on everything cut by the section, etc.).

Good points, Michael. I hadn't thought about the specific issues you mentioned, but I agree, that makes it a bit confusing or more cumbersome than it should be to set the sill height. Sorry for the long response!