from a fully customizable aCAD to an infant bCAD

When I first started trying to get this new guy (bCAD) to run like a real, customizable CAD package (aCAD) three years ago I found that it would not print % screened solid hatches and there was no way to set up a 12 x 12 Digitizer with a programed 16 button cursor. Both of those realities I worked with for the past 38 years in aCAD. bCAD may have a good CAD engine but their ability to mimic aCAD is abysmal for the long time aCAD user.

I did come up with idea that I could use two monitors where one was my drafting table and the other contained all my various drafting tools. I set about arranging sets of ribbon menus only to find that could not be set to stay in one place each time I turned the machine on (even though there was some variable that was designed to do that, it continued to fail time after time). In addition, I was not savvy enough to create my own customized menus like I was able to create command slots for my 12 x 12 digitizer and programmable 16 button cursor.

Perhaps bCAD has changed (grown up a little) to accommodate an adaptive approach to long term aCAD users who rely on aCAD’s acceptance of users who want to customize their technology rather than having some autocratic technology tell them how to do their work.

Maybe some smart people can figure out how to do this. It is beyond me. Can you help?

Comments

• ALANH
    edited May 2022
    You can use custom menu's with pull downs, or toolbars rather than ribbon. You can make your own custom toolbars so dont have say all the options of the default tool bar.

Making custom ribbons is a little harder as you have to use the cui, where as menu's and tool bars can be made with Notepad. The menu's can include image box selections handy for blocks.

I am using Bricscad more and my menu's, toolbars work in both Acad & Bricscad.

Happy to provide more info about making mnu's.

The toolbars etc can be on other screen and will stay there.
  • "menu's and tool bars can be made with Notepad" - good news (tho I have eventually mastered it in cui) - how?
  • Compare a 5 minute help about making a mnu with notepad to watching 3 different youtubes about using CUI. Unfortunately have to use Cui to make ribbons, but in saying that I keep going back to what does a cui look like inside and they are actually zipped xml files, yes files. keep looking at doing a make a cui.

Dont get me wrong, do Cui and Notepad can then copy commands etc and image icons to your menu's.

If I send you some sample menu & toolbar they are pretty much self explaining.

If you explain more what your after for say a pop menu as just text I will make for you

mydrawmenu1

line
    circle
    pline
    and so on