Simplifying Vectors

Does anybody have any luck with using the SIMPLIFY command?

Daily I receive drawings in .dxf format that have come from Coreldraw and Adobe Illustrator.
They import size-wise very accurately, but they consist of hundreds of entities that make up the arcs.
Usually they are splines which I FLATTEN to give me polylines and this just exacerbates the problem.

I thought when I saw the new SIMPLIFY command it was the answer to my problem but I just can't seem to get a handle on how it is supposed to work.
It seems that almost any amount I put in to the command line questions it asks it either tells me no vectors were altered or just turns the whole thing to a set of zig zag lines!

It is probably operator error so if someone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Attached is a drawing with the original polyline with 491 vectors in, the next one is my manual attempt which got it down to 243 and then there is the final one which used Vectric CNC software that got it down to 160!

It took me over half an hour to achieve my result and Vectric did it as quickly as I could press the buttons (Grrr!).

Also attached is the help page of Vectric that shows how they do it and it is very easy to understand and you get a preview so you know if you are doing it correctly.

I appreciate I could use Vectric (I would need to buy it as this was only a trial) every time but if Bricscad is capable of doing it then it makes sense to cut one step out of my workflow and save money.

If anyone has a lisp that does something similar I would be interested to see if it could help me.

Many thanks in advance.

David

Comments