Program crashes back to desktop during Point Cloud caching

Just_Me
edited August 2022 in Point Clouds
Trying to load in a new e57 point cloud of 75GB, every time it gets to about 40% and bombs out to desktop.
Tried 3 times now without success. have had no issues before with this.
Cache has been cleared of any other point clouds.
Cache set to 150GB currently on a gen 4 nvme, reading e57 file from external usb HDD.
System Spec:
X570
5950X
64Gb DDR 3200
RTX 3090
Windows 10
BricsCAD Pro latest version

Comments

• Have you had a look at the log file?
  • This?
    * Start : Wed Aug 24 07:48:32 2022 *
    Running with 32 threads.
    Finished probe : Elapsed time = 0.015579 seconds.
    Started reading
    Status reading : Wed Aug 24 07:48:32 2022
    [ ]
    Finished reading : Elapsed time = 507.949287 seconds
    Started splitting root
    Status splitting root : Wed Aug 24 07:57:00 2022
    [ ]
    Status splitting root : Wed Aug 24 07:58:00 2022
    [========= ]
    Status splitting root : Wed Aug 24 07:59:00 2022
    [================= ]
    Status splitting root : Wed Aug 24 08:00:00 2022
    [========================================= ]
  • I moved the e57 to an internal SSD in case reads from the external SSD were an issue but same result.
    What Log File?
    Where is the log file located?
    What am I looking for in it?
  • yes, what you've posted above is the preprocessing log file. The log file is located in the cache folder.
    If that is all there is in the log file then this is an undefined error. I would suggest you create a support request and include the pointcloud data so we can have a closer look at the issue and resolve it. Obviously the confidentiality of your data is guaranteed.
  • So would be located here:

• yes, in a subfolder named after the pointcloud.
  • Filling in now but will the attachment part accept a 75GB file?
  • probably not. Please fill in the ticket and ask the support staff to provide you a file sharing link for your pointcloud.
  • just to make sure, do you have enough free space on you disk? You usually need ~3 times the size of the pointcloud on your disk during preprocessing.
  • Just_Me
    edited August 2022
    I just tried it on my second workstation which had 187GB free, that failed in the say way too.
    Your point raised the question though, my max cache size is set to 150gb. If my point cloud is around 75GB do I need to raise the limit to around 300GB?
    The cache limit by default on my second workstation was 150GB too.
  • *SOLVED*
    So this finally worked by my moving the cache to a larger drive and increasing its size from the default 150GB to 300GB. Nowhere in a casual users experience have I seen info detailing that the Cache need to be larger than the Point cloud. As the point is to make a smaller file more easily managed one would expect that if your cache was larger than the point cloud you are caching you would be fine.
    In the situation above, I had a 75GB Point Cloud and a 150GB Cache. To get it to work I took the same 75GB Point Cloud and a cache of 300GB to get a final cache usage of 38GB !?!

• glad the issue is resolved. During different preprocessing steps, some data is written to disk to make the process faster and these files are deleted at the end. So the final cache size is indeed usually smaller than the actual pointcloud file, but during preprocessing more free disk space is needed. We will make sure this information is documented for other users and we'll fix the crashing.