I am frustrated.

Hi everyone,

I am a beginner using Ultimate version 22. I found that the learning materials are quite outdated. How would it be efficient to learn when the contents doesn't match with the program. I also found that the tutorial video presentation speed is too fast and the lady's voice is too close to the mic so the sound is not very clear. Will it be improved in the near future I hope.

Thanks!
James

Comments

• Agreed - sound quality is frequently unprofessional - but doesn't everyone fail in this? If it's a Youtube you can adjust the run-speed to say 0.75
  • Agreed - sound quality is frequently unprofessional - but doesn't everyone fail in this? If it's a Youtube you can adjust the run-speed to say 0.75

Thanks Tom, I will try.
  • The tutorial videos I meant was from Bricsys Learning - BricsCAD Essentials.
  • They don't advertise there's a video(s) in it - perhaps have to sign up to find out. Does it have the run-speed control?
  • It does has control of both 0.5x and 0.75x that I only knew by checking. Thanks for reminder. I'll try.
  • I sympathize with your frustration. However, help files and videos do not make people want to buy software. Software vendors, decades ago, abandoned the idea of making a high quality manual.

-Joe
  • I sympathize with your frustration. However, help files and videos do not make people want to buy software. Software vendors, decades ago, abandoned the idea of making a high quality manual.

-Joe

I already accepted that. Thanks!

James
  • JamesWong said:

"I am a beginner using Ultimate version 22. I found that the learning materials are quite outdated. ....."

James

I've been using the application for many years and am still learning stuff. I'm 68 and have declining vision. I find learning new techniques difficult. I was an Autocad LT user previously, and found it helpful to refer to the document "BricsCAD for Autocad Users". The Bricsys videos are too hard to see on the small monitor my employer provides.. As Bricsys introduced new features like dimensioning in paper space (instead of model space), the "Look From" icon, the Quad, the Ribbon, sheet metal, etc. I got overwhelmed with the "improvements". Crowding the screen with a ribbon and a bunch of popups (like the quad) doesn't help the learning curve. I like the old toolbars and being able to control their location and the size of the tool icons within them. So when I update BricsCAD, first thing I do is disable the ribbon and fix the toolbars the way I like them. Then I gradually investigate the new tools.

So my suggestion to you is to turn off some of the stuff that is shrinking or complicating your workspace. Tackle the unfamiliar or new tools gradually. Turn on the command line and watch the response to your keystrokes.
  • JamesWong said:

"I am a beginner using Ultimate version 22. I found that the learning materials are quite outdated. ....."

James

I've been using the application for many years and am still learning stuff. I'm 68 and have declining vision. I find learning new techniques difficult. I was an Autocad LT user previously, and found it helpful to refer to the document "BricsCAD for Autocad Users". The Bricsys videos are too hard to see on the small monitor my employer provides.. As Bricsys introduced new features like dimensioning in paper space (instead of model space), the "Look From" icon, the Quad, the Ribbon, sheet metal, etc. I got overwhelmed with the "improvements". Crowding the screen with a ribbon and a bunch of popups (like the quad) doesn't help the learning curve. I like the old toolbars and being able to control their location and the size of the tool icons within them. So when I update BricsCAD, first thing I do is disable the ribbon and fix the toolbars the way I like them. Then I gradually investigate the new tools.

So my suggestion to you is to turn off some of the stuff that is shrinking or complicating your workspace. Tackle the unfamiliar or new tools gradually. Turn on the command line and watch the response to your keystrokes.
    Hey Jim

Thanks for your response. I am adopting to the BricsCAD forum bit-by-bit as I will come more often. Everybody has unique thoughts just like you do. I am glad that I've chosen BricsCAD Ultimate.

James
  • ALANH
    edited October 2022
    Jim bit odd these days most Cad user have 2 screens as screen prices have become more affordable. Have you thought about bringing that old TV from home and connect with a HDMI cable ? You will not look back once you get 2 screens, its not just size but the ability to spread stuff around, I was talking to some one today and he has 3 screens.

We were the 1st department to get dual screens, now its seen as the default for nearly anyone in the company.

Oh yeah as a Civil designer, Plan on screen 1, longsection design screen 2, cross section view screen 3, full real time update of all 3 screens as you make changes.

I keep forgetting to buy a HDMI to VGA converter have 2 older screens but vga input. So can not use with my current laptop

Oh yeah mirrorcast on the 75" Tv is impressive.
  • I see old 19" Dell monitors, with rotating mounts, for $15 or $20 in thrift stores all the time. Good quality monitor. And in portrait orientation, they are about the same height as a 30" monitor is when it is in landscape mode. I use the portrait orientation for documents, or viewing help files. I have a small desk, or otherwise I would have two 19" Dells. One on the left, and one on the right.
  • Mine is 28" Acer 4k in landscape (main), 27" Dell 2k in portrait (secondary).
  • Don't be discouraged, James. Frustration is the standard response to learning CAD. But soon that eases up, and later it's replaced by exhilaration, with only brief and infrequent intermittent frustration.

When I started using Autocad, in 1989, there were no video tutorials or internet, and the printed instruction manual was completely frustrating to me. I opened the reference manuals to the page for each command and each system variable, and experimented with using each one individually until I understood it. Bricscad has a very good online command reference and system variable reference. Also a very good Lisp reference, if you later go on to studying that.
  • Joe Dunfee
    edited October 2022
    Anthony, it is interesting how we view things differently. I loved the AutoCAD v10 documentation. I think the total stack was around 5" or 6" thick. But, I generally ignore the on-line manual in my BricsCAD v14, because I have found it to be useless on too many occasions. I could be that we just learn better in different styles.

But, at least some of the earlier BricsCAD documentation would be out of date with the current version, and some definitions grossly inadequate. Hopefully my experience is now out of date, and the current version fixed those faults.

-Joe
  • Thanks Anthony, I eventually downloaded a pdf book 'BricsCAD BIM Academy' from YouTube links and that's exactly what I am looking for. I have a feeling that I might be able to teach BricsCAD in three months (just joking of course). Now I am not frustrated anymore.
  • JamesWong said:

.... I have a feeling that I might be able to teach BricsCAD in three months (just joking of course). ...

Actually, that's quite realistic, given how rigorously you're studying it. Midway through my one-semester Introduction to Autocad class I started teaching the instructor how to use lisp.
  • JamesWong said:

.... I have a feeling that I might be able to teach BricsCAD in three months (just joking of course). ...

Actually, that's quite realistic, given how rigorously you're studying it. Midway through my one-semester Introduction to Autocad class I started teaching the instructor how to use lisp.
    You don't know a lot about me yet, I have tons of other stuffs to play with. :o)
    I don't even have time to tell you what they are. :)