Hatch patterns RUG DACH

Sebastian
edited October 2022 in Other
Dear all,

searching for DIN (German standard definition) conforming hatch patterns for different materials, I decided to convert hatch patterns from the Revit User Group DACH to pattern files. I have documented them as a GIST. Maybe somebody has a use for it.

Apparently some hatch patterns live under Support\RvtPatterns, but I don't know how to access them. Whenever time is available I will try to continue adding a conforming XML file.

Best regards

Sebastian

Comments

• Thanks, interesting.

I took the time to create a visual look-up table of the patterns in the attached dwg-file.
    On a closer look, these patterns may help collaborating with Revit users, but they should IMO not serve as a base for creation of a similar collection for BricsCAD-users in the D-A-CH countries, for several reasons:

- The naming/numbering looks almost completely unsystematic
    - Nearly all patterns are symbolic ('annotational' in Autodesk's terms) section patterns, which should IMO be defined 1:1 in output units (printed mm) - however, they seem to be scaled up 100 times.
    - Many patterns do not carry any semantic meaning, and could thus be discarded without loss (since they can easily be created as a user-defined hatch).
    - Some patterns are elevation/surface rather than section patterns.

Hatch pattern handling is IMO in general a field that could use some improvements. I think that there is a lack of tools to organize a big number of patterns, and make them usable without try and error. The main pitfall is that the.pat format does declare neither the units, nor the intended use of the patterns (symbolic or real-world / section or surface).

Since vendors like Bricsys will always want to uphold compatibility with this legacy format, progress would need some workarounds, e.g. a systematic naming of patterns or a systematic use of contained comments, to allow for automatic scaling and classification. Ideally, since BricsCAD already uses sqlite, patterns should probably sit rather in a sqlite file, which would allow for free tagging and sorting.

But starting a collection with meaningful presets, preferably in a way that could benefit also users outside the DACH region, would of course be a good idea.
  • @Knut Hohenberg
    Thanks for your post. I came across the standards DIN1356 and DIN ISO 125-50, but could not find any DWG-based hatch collection. This could allow for stringed naming.
  • The obvious is look at the line types yes I know Acad.lin and Acadiso.lin one is metric and 1 is feet, so many times in dwg's its a case of what looks good change scale, yes tile floors need true size, NET hatch drawn at 1x1 makes life so much easier just scale.

So you need 2 libraries not 1, we had CUSTOM.lin it has linetypes drawn with true scale so for road line marking it was true size 600 long 600 gap and so on.

There is some nice make hatch patterns software out there and it can be a case of multiply or divide every number for feet v's metric. There are ways to do this excel or lisp.

At forums/Autodesk there was a lisp for making bond pattern tile pat by Kent Cooper.

Looking at pdf some of the patterns should match the existing pattern files available or start there copy and edit.

This is the 2 acad pat files can see mm or inches 0.375 is 3/8"