Smoothing contours

Is there any way to produce smooth contours? The DTM/contour system in BricsCAD is great so far, just need to smooth those lines a bit.

Comments

• II hope your viewres is set to a high number 10,000ish as this displays curves smoother.
    I assume the contours are plines (polylines) so you can smooth them by using the pedit command.
    Pline edit will display options in the command line. You should try the spline option.
    Hope this helps.
  • Thanks. I'd prefer not to use splines as these tend to cut corners rather than truly smoothing. My contours are on a TIN surface, created by BricsCAD. I can export them to polylines, of course, but I'm hoping there's a smoothing parameter in the surface command set.

I didn't know about viewres, I'll have a look.
  • Software from years ago had smooth contours, as mentioned it would use spline type answers so sometimes contours went screwy. You could try convert contours to plines and FIT or spline.
  • So I tried with splines and FIT but the problem is that once out of the surface any smoothing doesn't honour the breaklines. I think BricsCAD needs in-surface contour smoothing.
  • Are we talking about 2D or 3D countours?
  • Hi,

Contour smoothing inside the TIN Surface functionality is currently not possible. A Feature Request task has already been created for this issue, but for now, I cannot provide you with any time frame when this will be available.
  • "Are we talking about 2D or 3D countours?" - When you create a TIN the contours are a display option. So I guess they're 3D?
  • Hi,

Contour smoothing inside the TIN Surface functionality is currently not possible. A Feature Request task has already been created for this issue, but for now, I cannot provide you with any time frame when this will be available.

Brilliant! Thanks. I looked for the feature request system on the Web page but couldn't find it. Is this something the public can access? Can you point me to it?
  • glenrs said:

Brilliant! Thanks. I looked for the feature request system on the Web page but couldn't find it. Is this something the public can access? Can you point me to it?

It is not public however, you can enter your support request on the following web page https://boa.bricsys.com/en-eu/support/#128 and you will be informed once this will be available.