Transfer/Migrate settings to new version

Has anyone else experienced issues after installing a new version of BricsCAD, with migrating settings and cui's from your previous version, and "losing" new ribbons/toolbars?

For example, I installed V23 (previously using V22), and it seemed to migrate all of my customizations/settings from the previous installation, but the new ribbon tab for Express Tools was missing (looked through the list in CUSTOMIZE, and searched the cui itself and it was nowhere to be found). I know it used something from the new install because the new AI Assist ribbon tab was present. I did not extensively compare everything, but it appears it used toolbars and ribbons from my old install (V22), as the Assist toolbar was identical to the one from my previous version. I actually installed V23 before Thanksgiving, so I don't remember if I used the profile manager to migrate settings, or if BricsCAD asked to migrate settings during install or first run.

Maybe I'm missing it, but there doesn't appear to be a way to transfer items between cui's without manually editing them in a text editor. I know AutoCAD could do this, but it just seems like a bad idea to edit BricsCAD cui files with AutoCAD. Maybe someone has developed a third party tool to do this? (I haven't looked yet)

What I ended up doing was finding and loading the original V23 cui and just moving everything where it was in my V22 install. (Somewhere along the way I lost Command Aliases I had added, and had to manually edit the pgp file, but that's a subject for another post) This method worked fine for me, but I'm CAD manager for our office and I really dread having do this for every CAD station in our office (if I leave it to individual users, the update to new versions just won't happen). It seems like there would be a better way to migrate settings from your previous install yet keep all the new features of the new install without a lot of manual intervention. We've only updated once before from BricsCAD V21 to V22, and I don't remember having these issues, or maybe we just didn't notice things that went missing since we were new to BricsCAD (this was also during the time we were adopting BricsCAD in leu of AutoCAD, so it may have been that more users just started with V22).

And yes, we also had similar issues with this in AutoCAD. As much as they have developed tools to assist in transferring all your settings from version to version, things still got missed and caused problems. I realized when we started adopting BricsCAD that I need to start taking a more active role because we had users using AutoCAD five or six versions old because they didn't want to mess with the hassles of migrating to a new version every year.

If anybody has any methods or tools to make this process any easier, I'm all ears.

Thanks, in advance.

Comments

• I am still on v14. I think I was on v13, when I decided to only create new menu files, and never to modify existing ones. This way, I have a single file with its own toolbars, that has many of my customizations.
  • I am still on v14. I think I was on v13, when I decided to only create new menu files, and never to modify existing ones. This way, I have a single file with its own toolbars, that has many of my customizations.

I take a similar approach with custom menus, toolbars, and ribbon tabs. They're in separate files by discipline and get loaded automatically by a lisp loader I wrote years ago. Does V14 use cui files or the old menu files (mnu/mns)? I first trialled BricsCAD at V16 or 17.

My users really don't customize the stock toolbars and ribbons (I don't think!). I probably really just need a way to find what's been turned on or off, and location info. I know the cui files used currently contain location info for ribbon tabs, toolbars, panels and such, but I don't really know how to read the cui file (the old mnu and mns files were much simpler IMO).

Maybe I could come up with a lisp that could search a cui file for that information and transfer it to a new file. I'll have to look into that...
  • Agree with others like 40+ years on CAD always made custom menus, custom load lisp on startup and so on, I have a setup lisp that sets all support paths, printer settings, save locations, custom icons and so on, only need to run once, had 8 users, only took a few minutes on a brand new install.. The only user custom item was saving their toolbars list in a file and ran a script opening their toolbars. They struggled to do that.

I have gone past that now have a lisp that does full client custom install on a new computer, all lisps, icons slb's, yes can use lisp to unzip files to correct directory. Makes it easy for me as just send a zip and a lisp to client.