Copy Custom Toolbar from one computer to Another

Can someone please tell me how to copy a custom toolbar from one PC to another.

Comments

• When CUI was introduced realised a nightmare typical Autodesk make it as complicated as possible.

So for say last 40 years I have always made custom Pop and Toolbar menu, why you ask, because you can use notepad to make them they are just a text file, yes steal commands from the CUI using copy and paste.

A new CAD have a lisp that does it all adds the correct custom menus, sets support paths and more.

You can export a portion of a CUIX, else just work out what CUI or CUIX it is your running, then copy it to somewhere else, in our case the server so only one menu to update. All users pointed to that menu. Just Use Menuload to load Cui or Cuix or mnu.

I can provide a sample toolbar.mnu if you want.

On my to do is convert a text file to a custom ribbon, a little secret about CUIX rename a copy to .ZIP and have a look, its full of XML code.
  • Anthony Apostolaros
    edited March 2023

Can someone please tell me how to copy a custom toolbar from one PC to another.

You could make a copy of the CUI file that contains the custom toolbar, giving it a different name, and then load that new file temporarily as your "main" CUI file and delete everything in it except the custom toolbar, and then save it and copy the file to another computer and load it as a "partial" on that computer.

Generally, it's best to do any menu customization in a custom CUI file that's loaded as a "partial." New releases of BC often come with new default.cui files, and if you use the new default.cui you'll lose any customization you did in the old one. If you do the customization in a custom CUI file, you can simply load it as a "partial" to the new version of default.cui. Or you can create an empty CUI file as a container, and load both default.cui and your custom CUI file as "partial" CUI files to that. Then you won't have to do anything when you substitute a new default.cui file that comes with a new release.
  • Anthony, is it possible to do changes in the temporary CUI to the std CUI.
    I have a few things I need to fix with in the std every time I upgrade. ( like get rid of "dimension " icon and put ' before som snaps.)
    I have not dived into this.
    Cheers Patrik
  • Anthony Apostolaros
    edited March 2023
    Patrik, I think a custom CUI can only add things, and not alter anything in the "main" CUI file that it's a "partial" to. But you could make a custom version of a Menu or Toolbar, by the same process described above, and alter items or tools in that custom version.

A CUI file that's loaded as a "partial" is like a DWG file that's loaded as an external reference. An xref can have a wipeout that covers up something in the main file, but I don't know of anything equivalent to a wipeout in CUI files.

I don't use toolbars, so I'm just guessing, but if you turn off a toolbar that's in the default.cui, will it still be off after a new default.cui is installed? If so, that could solve your problem -- turn on your custom version of that toolbar but turn off the one in default.cui.