When Tangent snap doesn't work

I draw a line and a circle. I select the line>MOVE>grab an end grip, move the line to be tangential to the circle at its end grip. But Tangent snap doesn't operate. Why is that, or can I make it work?

Comments

• The tangent snap works relative to the most recently selected point. If you were drawing a line, enter the starting point then enable tan snap, the ending point of the line will snap tangent to a curve. However, to move an existing line to be tangent to a curve, I either draw a temporary perpendicular helper line through the center (if it's a circular arc) to intersect the point of tangency, or draw a new line using deferred tangent and parallel snaps in combination. I bet there's a lisp out there...
  • Deferred tangent - could you explain?
  • Deferred tangent snap occurs if you select the tangent target first. It will show the tangent snap symbol with ellipsis to indicate a second point is required to fully define the line of tangency. You can defer perpendicular snap, too, in a similar way.
  • RexWescott
    edited May 2023
    I also encountered a problem where the point capture does not work when using the GRIP_MOVE command in BricsCAD. I tried using the TANGENT_SNAP command to capture points on curves, but it doesn't work properly. The curve that should be captured remains unselected and instead some other point is selected. I checked my system variable settings and made sure that SNAPMODE is set to 1 and TSNAPTYPE is set to 3, which should allow me to capture points on curves. I also tried changing other variables such as SNAPUNIT and SNAPBASE, but that didn't have any positive results. Maybe someone knows how to fix this? I would be grateful for any help.