The angle of a parallelogram

I'm trying to make a parametric drawing where struts find their correct angle. Given the attached diagram. Does anyone know how to mathematically find the angle from x,y and w ?

Comments

• That's a tough one. I couldn't think of any way to draw that geometry given only lengths x, y, and w -- except by drawing a circle and then a line tangent to it. But I don't know how to write a mathematical expression for what the Tangent osnap does.

I do, however, think it would be pretty easy to use Lisp to draw the geometry and measure the angle Omega, if that helps. I don't know of any built-in way to measure an angle except DimAngular, but Stig Madsen's AngleM function does that.
    (setq pt6 (inters pt2 pt3 pt1 pt5))
    (command "AngleM" pt6 pt2 pt1)
  • ScottS
    edited May 2023
    You can use parallel and coincident 2D geometric constraints plus 2D dimensional constraints with parameters w,x, and y to fully define what you've drawn in the diagram. To solve for the angle Omega, the trigonometric identity sin(a-b)=sin(a)cos(b)-cos(a)sin(b) helps, or break it down as the sum of two angles.
    Omega=arctan(y/x)+arcsin(w/d)
    where d^2=x^2+y^2.
  • Anthony Apostolaros
    edited May 2023
    ScottS said:

.... Omega=arctan(y/x)+arcsin(w/d)
    where d^2=x^2+y^2.

Shouldn't that be w/e?
  • Please see attached file.
  • Anthony Apostolaros
    edited May 2023
    lgxavier said:

Good work, Igxavier. I could only check it as far as x sin Ω - y cos Ω = w. I didn't know how to solve for Ω, and couldn't even figure out how to use WolframAlpha to do it for me. But up to that point it looks good, and I assume the solution you got from them is correct.
  • Hi Anthony, I did some tests with numerical values and it seems OK.
    In WolframAlpha, normally type the expression and indicate the variable to be evaluated. For example:
    xsinø-ycosø=w, solve ø (and press =)
  • Hi Anthony, I did some tests with numerical values and it seems OK.
    In WolframAlpha, normally type the expression and indicate the variable to be evaluated. For example:
    xsinø-ycosø=w, solve ø ( and press = ).
  • Yes, I see. Thank you. That's very useful. Though when I paste it in that way (xsinø-ycosø=w, solve ø), without the spaces, I get a very different answer.
  • Well, I tested it now with and without spaces and, indifferent, same results for me. But the important thing is that it worked!
  • Thanks Igxavier.
    That is invaluable.
    But now I'm going to be spending (and already have spent quite a few) hours trying to figure out why it is so. :)
  • ScottS said:

.... Omega=arctan(y/x)+arcsin(w/d)
    where d^2=x^2+y^2.

Shouldn't that be w/e?
    No. In the dashed right triangle with hypotenuse e in your diagram, the length opposite angle phi is close to (for small phi) but not quite w.
    phi = arcsin(w/d)
  • ScottS, your result for omega is correct and is much simpler. Congratulations!
  • Anthony Apostolaros
    edited June 2023
    Yes, I see it now -- w is perpendicular to the blue lines, not to d. So d is the hypotenuse for angle phi.