How do I collect sub-entity color and apply to 3D solid

In BricsCAD I have imported an Inventor assembly. Attached is one entity from that assembly. On investigating the model you will notice the true colour is applied only to the faces and edges while the 3D solid shows up as ByLayer. I would like to collect the color from the sub entity and apply it to the 3D solid. I would like to maintain the block and hence do all this inside the block entity. I found a discussion which is of a similar nature but does not achieve what I need so here I am asking if anyone can help
https://forum.bricsys.com/discussion/35942/select-solids-by-face-color

Thank you

Comments

• RSW
    RSW
    edited June 2023
    This object imports as a component within a (sub)assembly, select that subpart from within the mechanical browser, then right mouse click on that component and select "open a copy". Now the subentity should open in a new drawing and when you select a face of the object then the RGB color should show in the the properties panel. In this case the RGB colors are 114,147,63.

You can then set the colour to the layer and have all objects with colour set to bylayer to get the same colour.
    It will get a bit more problematic if you want to change the colour later on, because the face colours will have to be removed from the faces in some way other than one by one if you don't want to do this manually per face. (You could use the smart select>same area faces and then select one instance of each area to select all faces and then set them to bylayer, but that would be ok for an occasional object but for a lot of objects/components this would be taking quite a bit of time).
  • RSW thank you for taking the time to answer the question. The method you have outlined is possible and easy if it involved only a handful of parts. I have a huge number of assemblies and I was after some form of LISP to do this.

Do you have any suggestions?