Is it possible to hide part of a tin surface surrounded by a grading?

aridzv
edited July 2023 in 3D Modeling
Hi.
I have a grading that represents the inside of a reservoir (see Capture.PNG).
The grading goes below the tin surface that the reservoir is located on (see Capture1.PNG).
Is it possible to hide the part of the tin surface that is within the grading boundaries in order to show the bottom of the reservoir?
I also attached a DWG file.
thanks,
aridzv.

Comments

• Hi aridzv,

you could create a TIN Volume surface between the terrain and the reservoir (using TINVOLUME command). After that you can use TINEXTRACT -> Contour at elevation 0.0 on the newly created Volume surface to get the contour that's on the 'fill/cut' line. You can then use this extracted contour and add it back to the original terrain TIN as a hide boundary (TINEDIT -> add boundary -> hide -> yes ). I attached the result. Is this what you wanted?
  • aridzv
    edited July 2023
    @andrejm
    Hi and thanks for the reply.
    the end resault is what I need - many thanks for that!!
    but when using the add boundery command I must use the "Trim triangle lines" option and then I loose the cut/fill calculation and I can't reconstruct the original tin.
    is there a way to save the original tin or redo this action?

thanks,
    aridzv
  • > is there a way to save the original tin or redo this action?
    You could copy the last state of the terrain, just with basic COPY (I think it will only contain the visible triangles, so it doesn't copy the full surface). To undo/redo some edit in TIN you can use the CIVILEXPLORER panel and then in the object view select the original TIN. At the bottom of the panel you have multiple tabs, the second one is 'Definitions'. You can then right click the last 'Add boundaries' definition and disable it. You can probably then hide the original TIN (and use it for calculations) and use the copied one for visualization. Hope this helps you to get some further ideas.
  • andrejm said:

Hi aridzv,

you could create a TIN Volume surface between the terrain and the reservoir (using TINVOLUME command). After that you can use TINEXTRACT -> Contour at elevation 0.0 on the newly created Volume surface to get the contour that's on the 'fill/cut' line. You can then use this extracted contour and add it back to the original terrain TIN as a hide boundary (TINEDIT -> add boundary -> hide -> yes ). I attached the result. Is this what you wanted?

@andrejm
    Hi.
    I checked it again:
    It is indeed necessary to Trim triangle lines with the "HIDE", but with the use of the CIVILEXPLORER panel -> tinsurface -> defenition tab on the bottom, right click on the boundary and deleted it,
    and the tin surface returns to its original state.
    thanks again,
    aridzv