update block from Library Panel

Hallo
I am inserting a series of parts / blocks from the Library panel by dragging them in the model space as blocks for 2D detailing.

sometimes though I need to update the original dwg block file in the component folder and would like to re-insert and see all the instances updated.

How can I do that ? Is Blockreplace the only solution or I have another option ?

thanks

Luca

Comments

• Maybe look into Xrefs but you could end up with a massive amount of xref's.
  • Hallo

thanks for the suggestion but xref is not an option. My question is more to understand the correct usage of the library panel.

1) standard parts are stored in a local / shared folder - ok
    2) they are inserted as a block - that is ok because we do not need them to constantly refresh nor sync every time in every drawing.
    3) in the rare case we need to redefine a block because we have made a change, it should be possible to "refresh" or reinsert the instance from the dwg in the library.
    Now this can be done with Blockreplace but was wondering if there was another way to do this especially because even when I delkete and purge the block from the file the old block is reinserted again (I have update the library panel also).

I hope this is clear - thanks again for your feedback

regards

Luca
  • Running the INSERT command, then click BROWSE and navigate to select the revised block should give you a pop-up asking if you want to update the existing blocks of the same name.
  • Dear Martin

Thanks - this works.
    I hope the same popup can be implemented in the drag & drop in the future.

Thanks again

Luca