Freezing problem that not rational according my system configuration [Performance problem]

maxemilian
edited September 2023 in Other

Hello everyone, my question is not directly related OS or BricsCAD itself, It is more related hardware issue I think mostly related AMD system. I mean there is a bottleneck somewhere. Here more clarification.

I'm currently using BricsCAD 23.02.06 on Linux and have been facing significant performance issues. Even when working on relatively simple projects with 20-30 layers and 2D apartment four-floor flat buildings, the software frequently freezes, notably when attempting to select the entire project.

My primary focus has been on the processor area, as it's the only indicator showing high load, indicating a bottleneck. RAM, disk R/W, and other system components are not heavily loaded, with most of them using less than quarter of their capacity.

Upon closer investigation, I observed that only one core is fully utilized, running at 100% capacity, while the other cores remain largely underutilized, ranging between 5-15%.

I've experimented with enabling multi-threading in the settings, utilizing the following settings:

• Multithreading Flags:
  • 2 ☑
    4 ☑
    8 ☑
    16 ☑
    32 ☑
    64 ☑
    128 ☑
    256 ☑
    512 ☑
    1024 ☑
    2048 ☑
  • Whipt Thread:
  • 1 ☑
    2 ☑
  • Maximum number of threads: 8

For context, here's the system information:

OS: Garuda Soaring Raptor Kernel: x86_64 Linux 6.4.12-zen1-1-zen Uptime: 8h 42m Packages: Unknown Shell: bash 5.1.16 Resolution: 1920x1080 DE: KDE 5.109.0 / Plasma 5.27.7 WM: KWin GTK Theme: Breeze [GTK2], Sweet-Dark [GTK3] Icon Theme: BeautyLine Disk: 1.5T / 1.7T (92%) CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core @ 16x 4.05GHz GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER RAM: 7791MiB / 23938MiB

In addition, I tried running BricsCAD on a Ryzen 2500U APU system (Arch Linux 64-bit) with no special multi-thread settings, and the performance was almost identical.<\p>

In addition, I also tested it on a different system with an FX-4100 processor running MS Windows and Linux Mint bootable test stick ( yeah that work on the bootable usb stick. BricsCAD so flexible) , and the performance was not significantly worse, considering both performance and single-core power of the processor.

It's worth mentioning that all of my processor test platforms are AMD-based, which might be an interesting point to consider in the context of the performance issue.

I'm seeking advice and insights from the community. Has anyone else encountered similar issues with BricsCAD on Linux and found a solution to better utilize multiple cores and resolve the freezing problem? Specifically, are there recommended settings, updates, or workarounds that have been effective for you?

Your experiences and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Comments

• I also have a Ryzen system running Linux (mint) and the mflags options don't make any difference to the performance. Same with Windows 11, unfortunately Bricscad does not utilize multi-threading.
  • MilesAlex said:

I also have a Ryzen system running Linux (mint) and the mflags options don't make any difference to the performance. Same with Windows 11, unfortunately Bricscad does not utilize multi-threading.

Do you have any freezing problem on projects?
  • I've not experienced any freezing but I do get random crashing (with windows also)
    My main issue with the Linux version is the laggyness when panning once a command has been activated, eg when I dimension and then pan/zoom, it is considerably slower than the windows version.
    I tried it using wayland but no difference.