How to save all settings, shortcuts, workspaces, toolbars, etc.

I would like to export all my customizations of the user interface, including settings in the "Settings" dialog, keyboard shortcuts, toolbars that display and how they are arranged, etc. So if I had to reset everything I could import all of these and get everything back to the way I have it set up.

So far I have done the following:

- Exported settings from the Settings dialog box to a .CSV file
- Saved my "profile" as an .ARG file
- Saved "main CUI file" from the Customization dialog box as a .CUI
- Exported workspace but not sure where it went (was not given an option to choose a directory)

I would have thought the workspace would be exported to C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\Bricsys\BricsCAD\V23x64\en_US\Support
but I don't see it there. Where does it go?

Also, is this everything I need to export? Is there some duplication here? Is there any easier way?

Thanks!

Comments

• I would have thought saving Arg and CUI was enough, had a team under me but we did have a lisp to reset all paths etc when upgrading, the Arg should do that. Only other thing was had a script for each user "Toolbar show" their preferred toolbars as every one had different choices. Yes absolutely crashed CAD a few times the ARG seemed to help, we had a company CUI on a server backed up also.
  • Hello John,

I also tried exporting the settings as a *.csv file. However, in my BC23 installation there is no way to import them again... Strange. Then why is it all?
    I also think an export as *.ARG (analogous to Acad) and the modified cui files should be enough. However, I would play it safe (also to avoid blocking future changes in BricsCAD) and always write all changed menus, toolboxes, commands, shortcuts, etc. into your own *.cui file and not change them in the default file. You can then simply load these later if necessary as a partial cui and replace the corresponding menus and toolboxes.
    A few tips can also be found in the book "Customizing-BricsCAD-V20" by Ralph Grabowski, which should still apply to the current version. I quote from page 52:
    "The .arg file stores settings in the following areas of BricsCAD:
    - All settings that are reported by the Settings dialog
    - All settings that are stored in the Windows registry
    - Plotter settings used for model space
    - Settings made in dialog boxes
    - Project settings
    - Recent paths
    - Status bar settings
    - Tip of the day setting
    - Toolbar settings
    "
    This actually secures everything important, right?
    Good luck!
    I will soon have to transfer my customized installation to another PC for my colleague. If it worked, I'll be happy to report back ;)
  • It is confusing. I just had a need for the CUI file that I exported as my menus, etc. got zapped in a crash. I was able to get it all back. It would be nice to have a single command or setting that saved it all and that easily brought it all back when needed. Perhaps I'll suggest it as a feature.
  • If you save the cui to a storage location in the local network and export the arg via the profile manager, everything should be able to be restored without any problems, right? Regular data backup is required.
    Then the profile manager would actually be the single command you mean. Or what are you missing in the settings/menus/toolboxes etc.? Did something not go right?