pickbox display

Hi everyone
I seem to have lost the pick box and cross hairs when I'm working in 3d using modelling display. When i move the mouse pointer onto the screen it vanishes.
I'm still using V14 and have recently re installed it.
I've not changed any settings except I prefer a black background.
Any clues?

Comments

• What happens if you set the background color to white...?
  • or to a different color if possible in V14...
  • Which 'Graphic system device' (GsDeviceType) is currently set in the program? You can find it in the Settings dialog or type GsDeviceType in the command line. If you change it and restart the program, does it change cursor displaying?
  • norb1@bigpond.com
    edited September 2023
    Hi everyone
    It's using openGL as always and Wingdi is no better.
    Changing to white makes no difference as I've always used black as my background
    something I've been use to since ACAD2. Another background colour is also not effective.
    Using software display setting is not suitable for the solid/3d modelling I do.
    This is a recent development never experienced before.
    I can still pick edges and faces but only by blindly guessing where my cursor might be
    (it displays the cursor when it's over the toolbars or off the working area.
    There must be something being missed. Think laterally.

Norbert
  • Basically it is very difficult to reproduce the situation you describe, but from my experience it has probably to do with compatibility issues between Bricscad, operating system, GPU/GPU driver, non-certified video cards, 3rd party add-ons etc. If you just reinstalled V14 on the same computer without changing or updating some of the above ,op, video cards, drivers....then i would suggest that you install an evaluation version of V23, set the background color to black and check with the DWGs whether the problems remain....?
    The new version has new software for the graphic display components of Bricscad ...
    If you do have the same problem, then :
    -Update the graphics drivers of the video cards
    -Try a different keyboard and/or mouse and/or video card.
    -If your computer is using a dual graphics card , then you should configure Bricscad to use the high performance graphics card, just check in the device manager under diplay adapters

• Hi everyone
    It's using openGL as always and Wingdi is no better.
    Changing to white makes no difference as I've always used black as my background
    something I've been use to since ACAD2. Another background colour is also not effective.
    Using software display setting is not suitable for the solid/3d modelling I do.
    This is a recent development never experienced before.
    I can still pick edges and faces but only by blindly guessing where my cursor might be
    (it displays the cursor when it's over the toolbars or off the working area.
    There must be something being missed. Think laterally.

Norbert

• Hi Sakko
    Thanks for the reply, but this v14 was working fine up till about a week ago. Nothing changed since the reinstall a couple of months ago.
    I just opened it one night and had no cursor on the working area of the screen only.
    I have installed Shape since the reinstall and it's fine.
    I also have CMS Intellicad which works fine too......er up to a limit since it too suffers instability sometimes.
    Par for the course it would seem.
    My graphics is a Radeon pro wx3200 so quite up to date and well able to handle solid modelling in any visual mode
    which it has been doing previously. Drivers are up to date. The computer is an AMD ryzen 5800x also great for CAD.
    It also worked fine with V23 trial which has expired.
    As mentioned it is set to openGL and wingdl has been tried too...no fix.
    The cursor and pickbox are fine in 2D. I even checked the colour schemes in settings.
    The cursor appears in the toolbars area but not on the screen working area.
    So...to sum up all of the things you mention seem to be correct.
    I suspect I might need a new ARG file. Years ago some of my solids were disappearing and a new ARG
    did the trick. I'm guessing.
    I'm off to double check your suggestions again just in case my method id flawed.
    Thanks again
    Norb

• Hi Sakko

I went back into battle and won.....Checked for the latest drivers and windows informed me it was up to date and that it had done an update recently. So to cut a long story short I did a factory rest on the Radeon utility and ....HEY PRESTO!
    Maybe I'll turn off Windows updates and do them manually in future.
    Thanks for the clues.
    Norb
  • Hi norb1
    I suspected that has to do with unattended updates associated with the graphic stuff...cards, op updates etc.
    I had similar problems and a rollback of the updated graphic driver installed by windows, although chosen by me,
    solved the problem... I am glad to having "contributed" in the right direction !
  • Checked for the latest drivers and windows informed me it was up to date

I would recommend to not use the GPU drivers provided by Windows Update.
    These are usually far from latest or best drivers available.

Instead, when having graphic problems, go to AMD website and download the
    latest "recommended" driver. The "Pro" driver, not gaming driver, in your WX 3200 Pro case.

(I also use the latest Pro drivers, although standard (gaming) RX 6800)
  • Hi guys
    Thanks for the advice.
    I have now got the AMD apps, drivers are updated now and I have turned off windows auto updates.
    I'm still hesitating to install win 11.
    Lesson learned... all good for now.
    Norb
  • Great !

Not sure if V14 already supports Win11.
    Has someone tested or Bricscad a spec sheet ?
    On the other hand, my 2004 Microstation seems to still work.
    But with all run as administrator and XP compatibility modes options.